How big do Yoyo loaches really get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drayven

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been having trouble keeping dojo loaches alive for some unexplained reason so I'm thinking I may give Yoyo's a try at some point. Doing research on them I've seen people say the max size is anywhere from 2.5"-6" and I'm just wondering realistically what I should expect them to be. Right now I have

2 dojo's
3 swordtails
5 danios
1 bristlenose

I'd like to add like 5 yoyo's if they're on the 2.5-3" size and *maybe* try to get another dojo in there and see how it fares but I'm afraid that'd all be pretty overstocked. It's a 50 gallon breeder.

so would they be ok in a 55g? my lfs told me they got too big for a 55, of course who listens to their lfs. sorry to butt in on your thread

I had a yo-yo that lived seven years and he was only 4 inches. He was in a 180g tank.

so would they be ok in a 55g? my lfs told me they got too big for a 55, of course who listens to their lfs. sorry to butt in on your thread

Ya, i believe a small shoal of them would be fine ina 55g. They are very active and will enjoy the length og the tank. I would get like 3 or 4, maybe even 5.

Do you think I'd be overstocked in a 50g with

4-5 yoyos
3 dojos
3 swordtails
5 danios
1 bristlenose

No definitely not overstocked. I think you'd have more swimming room in the top and middle parts if you decided to add more fish. :)

No definitely not overstocked. I think you'd have more swimming room in the top and middle parts if you decided to add more fish. :)

Ya, i would start stocking the top and middle. Your bottom is just about right, you might be able to stock the bottom a little more with fish that stay small.

Yeah, the loaches are my main focus right now but perhaps later I'll consider adding a few more danios or maybe some white clouds or something.

Yeah, the loaches are my main focus right now but perhaps later I'll consider adding a few more danios or maybe some white clouds or something.

Remember you are messing with 2 completely types of fish here. So that can be kinda risky. A Dojo Loach and cloud mountain minnows are cold water species. And all your other species are warm water species. So keep that in mind. I would also think that you could also add a couple more yoyos if you wanted, not many just maybe 1 or 2. Bringing your total up to around 6.

Yeah I'll probably have the tank at 76-77 so it's cool enough for the dojos and warm enough for the yoyos. I forgot how cold white clouds liked it.

Back
Top Bottom