How Big Is Too Big?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know if there is a set rule. From what I've seen they become a nuisance, can't fit / don't match the ornaments and hassle other fish. I guess it would also depend on the tank floor space.

I mucked around here and decided on 7 or 8 inches but take with a grain of salt.

Edit - 7. Going with 7.

Last edited:
I've got a 55G with a 15 inch pleco, not sure what variety. I have most of the plants and decorations toward the ends and leave the center open for him. He seems happy and healthy. Sometimes the plants get knocked loose from his nosing about but it doesn't bother me. I love him - he's my favorite fish, so prehistoric looking. He's been in there about 6 years. I have 1 angel, 3 green barbs, 3 Cory's, 4 neons, 3 cherry barbs and 6 gold barbs in there too. I'm at near max for fish now so won't add anymore.

They can be dirty creatures. So it would also depend upon the rest of the stock selections and how frequently you would do pwc. I would think no more than the front to back measurement - 10" max but if it just gets massive looking you will be able to use logical judgement as it ages. It will need to be able to turn around and the 60G isn't very deep front to back.

My pleco can turn around in the tank, which is 12" front to back and 4 ft long. It's about 18 inches high. Yes, they do poop a lot and it's longgggg. I use a net to strain it out every few days.

My pleco can turn around in the tank, which is 12" front to back and 4 ft long. It's about 18 inches high. Yes, they do poop a lot and it's longgggg. I use a net to strain it out every few days.

This was the 15" inch pleco turning around in a tank width of 12"?

I just measured him again. Depending on the position, he measures 14 or 15 inches. I took pictures with a ruler and put them on Dropbox in the link below. I don't know how to put pictures on the forum, sorry.
He can bend a little bit just after his dorsal fin and his tail is about 4 inches, so it moves easily. He doesn't seem to have any problem swimming around in the tank. He goes back and forth in the tank from end to end just fine.

1 item

Last edited by a moderator:
He never seems to bother any other fish, but if I get ghost shrimp they disappear pretty quick. Do plecos eat them or is my angel the culprit?

Link seems to be working so I think this is a great shared photo and much appreciated.

Speaks for itself. I'd love to have that fish in a 6ft, 200 gallon tank with plenty of driftwood to see it expand it's horizons.

The angel fish would be top of my list on suspects.

Thanks. I love to watch him. He's my favorite fish.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's one big fish! Please don't take this the wrong way, but that guy is far too big for the tank. These guy's need 150g plus. I understand it's easy to get attached but sometimes we have to put the fish's needs first.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon shrimp and snail tank

While I'm sure you're right, a bigger tank would be nice, he is healthy & active. I don't have a bigger tank, nor know anyone who does. He's about 6 or 7 years old. I'm not sure of their lifespan. He'll have to make the best of it since I have no other options.

I've got a 55G with a 15 inch pleco, not sure what variety. I have most of the plants and decorations toward the ends and leave the center open for him. He seems happy and healthy. Sometimes the plants get knocked loose from his nosing about but it doesn't bother me. I love him - he's my favorite fish, so prehistoric looking. He's been in there about 6 years. I have 1 angel, 3 green barbs, 3 Cory's, 4 neons, 3 cherry barbs and 6 gold barbs in there too. I'm at near max for fish now so won't add anymore.

Just thought I'd let you know your pleco is a leopard sailfin pleco. I have a 14" male in a 55 gallon tank

Thanks

I appreciate your telling me what kind he is. I've had him so long I had forgotten. I used to write down each new fish's info in a log (Scale Tales) that I created, but forgot to do it for him.
Thanks again & Happy Easter

Back
Top Bottom