How can i

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshfishguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
How can I increase the ammonia and nitrite and nitrates to a level that is safe

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
Ph:7.4

Is zero ok for the ammonia,nitrite,and nitrate

In a non-planted tank, your levels are ideal and could not get any better.

David

As your tank stands now with 0 ammonia, nitrite and nitrate it is not cycled. Cycling is the process of growing bacteria in the filter (and other surfaces of the tank) to consume the ammonia fish (and inverts) produce. Fish produce ammonia. In a tank with no nitrifying bacteria the ammonia keeps building up and will eventually poison the fish. In a cycled tank, fish produce ammonia then a colony of bacteria consume that ammonia and produce nitrite. The nitrite is toxic too. Another colony of bacteria consume the nitrite and produce nitrate. Nitrate is dangerous to fish but it has to be at really high levels (compared to ammonia and nitrite) to start inflicting damage. A cycled tank will have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and ever increasing nitrate. The nitrate is then removed with water changes every week (or as needed).

At the moment your tank has no ammonia to feed any bacteria so the colony can't grow. That is why you have 0 ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Well, if your just cycling, pure ammonia
If you are adding plants and already have fish, then don't clean it as good as you are doing
If you just have fish, don't raise it, the water is in perfect conditions

How do I get the nitrAte up and I have no fish but i can get some if you say so

How do I get the nitrAte up and I have no fish but i can get some if you say so

Ammonia is bad if you have fish in the tank. So is nitrite. They are toxic. NitrAte means you have a tank that is cycled because the bacteria in the filter are converting the ammonia your fish produce. A cycled tank will have fish producing ammonia that gets converted to nitrite then converted to nitrate. That's how nitrate gets in a tank.

Right now you have no fish so there is no ammonia. No ammonia means the bacteria will not find a home in your tank because there is no food for them. What you need to do is provide some food for them so they start to grow in your filter. You can do this two ways. You can buy pure ammonia and add a very small amount to the tank to trick the bacteria into thinking there is fish in the tank or you can actually add a very small number if fish to make ammonia.

If there is fish in the tank and there is not enough bacteria to eat all the ammonia they make, then the ammonia will get high enough to hurt your fish. If it gets too high then you have to do a water change to remove some of that ammonia. It keeps the fish safe.

So when we say your tank is not cycled it means there is no bacteria to eat what the fish produce. That's why we say that unless the tank has nitrate it is not cycled. No bacteria to make nitrate from nitrite from ammonia.
Nitrate is a bad thing in high amounts but its a sign that the tank is cycled. Small amounts will not hurt your fish.

Add fish, and then half a day later add used filter media to your tank. Works for me.

Back
Top Bottom