How can i activate my loach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 2 yoyo's 1 is 4 inches the other is slightly smaller and they just lay around in there territory all day!

I know they prefer night but they used to chase each other around all day and now they just lay down in there seperate areas. The smaller 1 is more active, giving a danio, betta or whatever comes close to his/her cave a little chase. The bigger more lazy one dosent even come out when i turn the light off.

I'd like to see more activity from these 2 as they are my most entertaining fish, is there anything i can do?

My tank is full and probably slightly overstocked so i cant add any other fish.

What temp are you keeping your tank at and what are your water parameters? If you haven't tested lately it might be that some parameters have crept up. Try a water change and see if they get more active after the water change. My yoyo's are most active after water changes, and as it nears the time for another water change they tend to slow down more.

My tank temp is 26 degrees C. I was advised to crank it up a notch a while ago as most fish prefer the warmer temperatures.

I just done a water change and they havent moved! i sat and watched them for 10 minutes and they still just sit there. I think i just have the most bone idle and lazy fish! They've got it easy, they just sit there and wait until some food reaches the bottom. I actually fed my biggest one out of my hand because i was concerned about his eating. (i hadnt seen him eat for about a week)

Is it possible that they will just become lazy as they get older?
They dont have as much space as they did when they were younger as there is a lot more plants in the tank now.

Its mainly my bigger one - I can see him just lying there with his mouth occaisionally opening/closing, he dosent even chase other fish away! They dont come that close to his area but the smaller one has chased from that distance.

I was thinking that he (bigger 1) is just comfortable and happy where he is so why bother moving? much like humans sometimes.

I'll Just go and test my parameters. Or would that be pointless cus i just did a water change?

You should wait at least an hour to do a test. It is unusual for yoyo's to be unactive though. Are they showing any other unusual signs? Whitish spots, fuzz?

Right i'll do 1 then.

No, nothing like that at all, my smaller one is pristine! absolotely full of colour!
Black patterns on white.

My bigger one is more silvery in colour, looks perfectly fine. I havent seen him in a while, i was thinking i could just lift the wood up but that would be mean. He's created that home, lol.

My parameters are...

pH 8.0
Nitrate 50 ppm
Nitrite 0.1 ppm

I'll do a gravel vac tomorow to get shot of that nitrite.
I removed some left over cucumber today so there is probably some of that drifting around somewhere.

My yoyo's were more active after water changes but these days they just do nothing! Also i had a gravel substrate (when they were active) now i have sand. I would've thought they'd enjoy sand more and burrow around in it looking for food.
This is not the case, quite the opposite infact!

my yoyos are definitely getting lazier as they get bigger. my clowns are positively sedentary unless there's food around. i think loaches kind of slow down as they get older. and they also do the "dead loach fake out" where they lie on their sides and look dead, and just when you're about to have a heart attack, they move again! sneaky devils.

i think is zagz is right--they are more active after a water change. and i've noticed they like REALLY clean water--i just cleaned both my filters and ran a diatom filter so my water is crystal clear, and the loaches are loving it!

hth

Hmm, well when i first got my tank my water was bad and i lost fish cus of it.
During that time they were so active and entertaining, so i go with the age thing.

I really want to get them out and about again, its so annoying having this 1 big fat lazy fish that just lays about looking dead ALL DAY!

I would consider taking them back but i cant, im too fond of them.

If i did then i'd have to get smaller loach, the only ones ive seen that are smaller is the striata which my brother has. We both want to get different fish so i wouldnt want those. Anyway, i'd much rather get these 2 back into active mode, any other suggestions?

Thanks for the advice so far.

This is really starting to annoy me now. Even my betta is becoming lazy!

Im gonna get my water absolutely perfect and see how they react.
This is pretty hard to do as i have extremely hard water, the nitrate levels are 75-100, i have found that they have been a definate 100 at times. Usually though they are about 75, this is costing me money that i shouldnt need to be loosing!

Anyway... I was even considering buying a smaller loach! Even though its the wrong thing to do!

If the perfect water conditions make them more active, i dont want to pay out to make them active, i shouldnt need to and the water there in is ok! they should be active and i really dont know why there not!

I think if i put 20 bloodworms, 20 brine shrimp and 20 earthworms on the bottom the big one wouldnt move!

That certainly is a big concern. I would look into using RO water as an alternative if the nitrates are so high still. It is obvious that the nitrates are affecting them and not in a good way.

LOL ... my betta is always lazy. Maybe your fish are acting the same, you're just looking for more excitement. Try adding another loach or 2 ... maybe that'll spruce em up. They prolly just need some new friends. I've had my loaches for 5+ years and while they don't flit around 24/7 ... they are still very active ... at least imo.

May be your feeding them to much and they are so over weight they can't get off the bottom. Too many TV Dinners.

Maybe you could introduce 1 more to your tank. They might be tired of each other.

Good luck

I don't know much about using filtered or distilled water for water changes. But I'm sure there are many others on the board that could suggest cheaper options for water supply.

Adding a couple of more loaches might just do the trick, worth a try IMO.

I really would like to add some more loaches but my tank is already overstocked.
Yoyo's can get to 6 inches cant they? My bigger one of the two is about 4/5 already and i feel for him as there is not much chasing space for the one a day chase he gives the other.

If i did add some more loaches it would have to be 2 dwarf loaches. Or any that stay under 5 inches. Definately under 6
I would take back to the store... 3 danios, 3 black neons. Give my brother my clown or bristlenose pleco (major waste contributors) and maybe get some dwarf's.
It dosent seem fair adding more loaches to a small tank, i feel a bit bad cus my yoyo's should be in a bigger tank.

If i were to bring 2 more loaches in (any that are below 5/6 inches) would they be happy in the tank? I know they do better in groups but would they be ok in a group in a small tank?

Thanks for the help!

I think smaller yo-yos would be fine ... I added 3 botia rostratas (look almost the same) with my yo-yos and there wasn't any issue. I don't know about 6" ... I've had mine for 5+ years and they're staying around 4".

But I think what needs to be said here is ... you need a bigger tank !!! Then add some more yo-yos !!!

Yeah i know i need a bigger tank and i would really like one believe me!
If i had a bigger tank i'd transfer my 2 pleco's and 2 yoyo's into it then buy more yoyo's to go in it aswell. Ideally i'd like to have 4-6 yoyo's.

The problem with this is, its my mums house and in total we have 3 fish tanks (including the goldfish biorb) I know for a fact! she wont want another and besides it cant go anywhere! Our house is packed full of furniture! My tank fits nicely on the right of the fireplace with my brothers on the left. A bigger tank just wont fit in the same gap.

I would have my tank in my room but i am a drummer you see and the sound vibrations would most certainly kill the fish!

Anyway back to my situation...
So would adding some smaller loach be an option? I would like to but my tank is overstocked!
Im too attached to any of my fish to take them back to the store.

Here's a pic of my tank. Taken during water change (thats why the level of water is less than normal.

The cave to the left is occupied by the smaller yoyo and the area under the driftwood is my bigger yoyo's.

This isnt right for 2 more yoyo's but if it will make my 2 happy and the new pair will be happy i am willing to do it as long as the biological side of my tank can cope.

Attachments

• img_1095.jpg
    img_1095.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom