How can I clear this up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cougargirl50

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I was down at my tank this morning and took notice that the top of my tubes for my UGF I have some brown algea started, and I have one little spot on my heater, at least it looks like brown algea. How can I clean them up. I do not have any algea eaters, I had 2 otto cats and 2 days after I bought them they both died, and haven't bought any algea eater since.

Thanks for the help

Did you have any algae in your tank when you bought the ottos that died? I have heard that they often don't do well because they are practically starving when you buy them and then they are often put into tanks that don't have the algae to sustain them and they often aren't given the fresh vegetables they need to survive in the absence of algae. If the algae in your tank is diatoms the ottos will thrive on that so you might wanna give them another try.

gheitman said:
You might try wiping the algae off with a scrubbing pad and increasing your light. How long do you have your tank lights turned on each day?

I cant get a scrubbing pad in there. Its in the top of the tub where the bubbles start coming out. There is only like a 1 X 1 inch opening in there.
As far as my lighting I just recently bought a TROPIC SUN 5500K bulb. Before that I just had a regular florescent bulb in there. But I bought a couple plants and needed to upgrade my lighting a little. And my light is on from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm

Did you have any algae in your tank when you bought the ottos that died

Yes I did have the otos then. But the one was spazzing out the day after I got it and it died, then the other one spazzed out the next day and it died the day after then also.

Back
Top Bottom