How can I reduce aggressive fin-nipping from serpae tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nocx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone help me I recently got 5 neon tetras, 2 rummynose tetras & 1 Serpae tetra in a pretty small tank the tank is a 5 gallon with some plants & 2 pieces of deco.. the day after I noticed that the tetras were missing pieces of the tail fin how can I prevent this from happening.....

Your Tetras

Can anyone help me I recently got 5 neon tetras, 2 rummynose tetras & 1 Serpae tetra in a pretty small tank the tank is a 5 gallon with some plants & 2 pieces of deco.. the day after I noticed that the tetras were missing pieces of the tail fin how can I prevent this from happening.....

Hello no...

Generally, you heavily plant the surface of the tank to provide hiding places for the bullied fish. Hornwort and Anacharis are likely the best, because they can cover a small tank in a few weeks. A very small tank is a disadvantage, because even if the surface is thick with plants, there isn't a lot of area for the victim to swim away and escape.

B

Serpae tetra like to school, so if I were you I would take it back until you have a bigger tank, then you need about 5 to be fair.........

I had 8 serpae in a 55. They were my mini piranha. No fish was safe in that tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had 7 and they were fine, mixed in well with all the other fish........how strange?

I had 7 and they were fine, mixed in well with all the other fish........how strange?

I too had a nice school in with a trio of Peacock Gudgeons and they never touched em. They were very very peaceful fish. Mine anyway. I've heard they vary from fish to fish, school to school.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That tank size is way too small for any of those fish. Get a 20 gallon long (30" long) and add six more Neons and six more Rummys. Plant it heavily and return the Serpae.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I find my serpaes to be little bullies and have taken part in killing a couple of rummy nose tetras. I like them, but won't replace them as they die off.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

This tank is much, much too small for tetras of almost any species. I suspect it is probably the Serpae, stressed from not having a school and cramped because of the size of the tank. Please get a larger tank for them, at least a 20 gallon, or return the fish and get something more appropriate for a tank this size. A betta would do well in a 5 gallon, or set up a shrimp tank.

Thanks everyone for your comments... im going tomorrow to get a bigger tank...:thanks:

Awesome! Glad to hear it. I would also recommend returning the serpae if you can, simply because he will likely continue to be a problem. Round out your rummynose numbers to at least 5 and there's still quite a bit you could do with a 20! :D Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom