How can i transform my tank to cichild tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ch-b

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have this 80 gallon community tank with some live plants but i want to change it and tranform it to cichild tank the problem is i can't control the temperature of my aquarium and everday and i have a new fish die from temperature....and i heard cichild can handle a warm water so i wont be having any problems with them i have right now 2 big driftwood and sand and some normal decoration what should i start with like what i get away with?

that's the tank...
attachment.php

Water temp in that size tank should be relatively stable, what does the thermometer read? More likely something other than water temp is killing the fish in any case.

Water temp in that size tank should be relatively stable, what does the thermometer read? More likely something other than water temp is killing the fish in any case.

Yup. Inhabitants? PH, Water chemistry? Also, I don't think switching fish is gonna solve your problem... You can't just say "whoop, fish are dying, let's try these instead." :p

Get a Fluval EX00 heater, best thing I ever did, adjustable and it tells you what the temp is and alarms if it goes out of wack.

I did test my ammonia and it's 0 my nitrite 0 nitrate 10 and my ph 7.5 what can kill my fish ? the temperature right now is 28c and sometimes can go 29-30c

Do u have a heater in the tank? I mean if it's get to hot then u may want to consider lowing ur heater temp

I don't have a heater in the tank i don't think the temp killed them to be honest,i think it's that they didn't acclimate well in my tank that's all

I don't have a heater in the tank i don't think the temp killed them to be honest,i think it's that they didn't acclimate well in my tank that's all

If your temps swing up to 30c/86f how do you rule that out? A temp that high is at the extreme end of the scale for all but a few species, 26-28c is ideal for most fish. How is it that your tank gets that warm without a heater anyway?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe because it's hot where i live? and i don't have ac where my tank is anyway my temp goes from 28c-29c max now i don't let it run anymore to 30c

People how can he turn the heater down without one? In sorry all these people are freaking because you live in a hot climate and don't have ac. Who needs it! I believe blowing a fan over the water will cool it forcing evaporation... It's been a while since I've had to use the trick though. You could always go with fish that require higher temps if that's the issue. For instances my discus tank it's kepted at 87f constantly so I never have to deal with ich. In that tank I have cardinal tetras, rummynose tetra, bnp, l202 sturbai Cory, and a ram that I recently removed. All are fine with the higher temps. Granted higher temps require you to have more oxygen in the tank.

There may be other ways to cool the tank cheaply. Is so a google search or see what other fish you can keep. What fish did you try.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I'm not freaking out hobgob, like ynotony said something doesn't add up and I may have figured out what that is.

Ch-b, I see you have at least one angel in your tank, it looks like there may be gold barbs in there also, are they the ones dying?

I'm not freaking out hobgob, like ynotony said something doesn't add up and I may have figured out what that is.

Ch-b, I see you have at least one angel in your tank, it looks like there may be gold barbs in there also, are they the ones dying?

I didn't say you everyone kepted saying how it was way to hot in general and saying he should turn the heater down and everything before asking about his set up. Also 86f is not to high for most species. Seeing as it is common practices to get your temp above 86 when dealing with ich I wouldn't say it's that high. Like I said my sturbai Cories and bnp live in my discus tank for over a year with a constant 87f

I don't have any gold barbs in tank i have 3 angelfish there and 5 mollies and 2 guppies and u used to have 5 platys which they are all dead now i don't know what's the reason and i have 6 swordtails and 2 gourami and they are all good :) now. my ph is 7.5-8.0

I don't have any gold barbs in tank i have 3 angelfish there and 5 mollies and 2 guppies and u used to have 5 platys which they are all dead now i don't know what's the reason and i have 6 swordtails and 2 gourami and they are all good :) now. my ph is 7.5-8.0

Could the angels have been killing them?

Nope they are so peaceful my guess they are short living or something because everything now is healthy...oh just one question if i want to have a parrot fish :) what fish should i take out form the tank? i have mollies and guppies and females and male swordtails and angelfish what should i take out if i want to put 1 angel?

what fish they will get with? other than cichlids? i don't want cichlids and i don't want to raise my ph what fish should i get for parrots? for my 80 gallon tall tank like parrots can work in my tank? because my tank is 70 cm height and 100 cm length would it work?

Platy are not to keen with higher temps. If it got to like 88f they would probably start suffering and slowly die off. Your angels are probably fine at that temp. People keep angel and discus together in the higher temps.

You say you don't want cichlids now you already have an angel lol it's one. Well what do you want? parrot are out of the question not really but I wouldn't advise it. Why not just get
X5 angels x15 or other tetras and then something for the bottom? Gorgeous simple stock. And they will be able to deal with your 86f temps.

Back
Top Bottom