How can you make a rock safe for an aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nomadman2003

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a nice piece of obsidian rock that I'd like to put in my next tank. Is there a guide or procedure to getting something ready to be put in an aquarium?

Common sense makes me think that for a rock you really only need to clean it (no detergents or lingering chemicals) and sanitize it (via heat), anything else?

Obsidian likely wont, but I can imagine rocks messing with pH levels, so soaking it in a bucket of water and watching the pH change, if any. If it does change does that mean the rock isn't safe for the aquarium?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

I used to make my own beer and would use Oxyclean and No-rinse Iodine to clean and sanitize (respectively) bottles, are those good cleaning agents for this case?

Thanks.

I have used Amethyst,Geodes,Jadeite,Marble and Tigers eye(red,orange and Gray) in my AQ for many many years with no ill affects on any water parameters. I always boil first for 10-15min and have never had any explode although I put the rocks in first add water then fire never cold rocks into boiling water.

Back
Top Bottom