How common are green spotted puffers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've seen all these people online say they casually buy them at their LFS or even chain stores like Petco and Petsmart. I've been to so many stores in general and haven't seen a single puffer sold, even saltwater for that matter. I'm thinking to buy one but LFS near me don't sell them and the ones that might are too far for fish to survive the car ride

Apparently aquariumfish.net has them in stock but they aren't very reliable from my experience since they never gave me my order and refunded me without explanation a week later

I've seen all these people online say they casually buy them at their LFS or even chain stores like Petco and Petsmart. I've been to so many stores in general and haven't seen a single puffer sold, even saltwater for that matter. I'm thinking to buy one but LFS near me don't sell them and the ones that might are too far for fish to survive the car ride

Apparently aquariumfish.net has them in stock but they aren't very reliable from my experience since they never gave me my order and refunded me without explanation a week later
I had been told since I lived in Ft. Worth in the 70's that I couldn't keep green spotted puffers in a community tank. I found my two at WALMART recently and they are doing really well. There is a bit of nipping going on, but I will try to get some ghost shrimp or crabs to let them nibble on. The only other fish I have with them are two huge gourami's and the most monstrous (size wise) Black Marbled Angel Fish I have EVER seen. So, it is possible. WALMART? I never would have guessed!

I had been told since I lived in Ft. Worth in the 70's that I couldn't keep green spotted puffers in a community tank. I found my two at WALMART recently and they are doing really well. There is a bit of nipping going on, but I will try to get some ghost shrimp or crabs to let them nibble on. The only other fish I have with them are two huge gourami's and the most monstrous (size wise) Black Marbled Angel Fish I have EVER seen. So, it is possible. WALMART? I never would have guessed!

You're lucky you haven't had problems with diseases I heard walmart fish are really bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My walmart has really good fish just a small selection but they do have the puffers

green spot puffers are brackish fish that need full saltwater as they get older. I have seen them sold in several petcos from time to time along with figure 8 puffers which are low end brackish.

You're lucky you haven't had problems with diseases I heard walmart fish are really bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
They can be if you find a putrified tank. I'm not lucky, I just know enough to spot healthy fish when I see them. Strangely, the ONLY fish I have lost to disease or sudden death came from Petco and Petsmart, which are 2 of the 3 places here that stock fish, besides WalMart. All the fish I have gotten from THAT HORRIBLE PLACE....lolol... are healthy and thriving. I named my Angel Fish MONSTRO. He is HUGE! He and all my fish that are as healthy as they can be, came from WalMart, including the Puffers. ;)

Back
Top Bottom