Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

How could this have happened?? Totally different fish.

Is it possible that two unalike fish (such as a long finned tetra and a orange molly or something of that sort) have babies?

Or does a molly just have babies with no fertilization? Are there fish like that?

So, I received an aquarium with three fish in it--a baby pleco, (I think) a long finned tetra, and an orange molly.

I took the three out and put them in my larger 29 gallon community tank for the night til I could set up the aquarium. So today, I was cleaning it and then set it all up when I realized there were baby fish swimming on the bottom! I saw four of them.

The person who I recieved the aquarium/fish from said that they regularly have babies and at night they come out from below the rocks and are eaten by the bigger fish.

So, how is this possible?? Did the two fish spawn together? What should I do?

And also, what do I feed them?

Old 06-25-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Mollys can hold sperm for long periods of time. That is were the babies came from. You can feed them finely crushed flake food.

Old 06-25-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, your tetras are egglayers and mollies are livebearers. Its not possible for them to mate together. All livebearers can store sperm as rich said. They can produce fry for up to 2 years after one mating. Congrats.
Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com