How did you cycle your tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have cycled with fish, and without (aka Ace hardware ammonia cleaner).
How high did the ammonia get with fish? It was undetectable. I used to keep a web page describing the process, but have let it lapse. Essentially, I added very few fish to a 55 gallon
Tank and was VERY patient. I think I started with 6 zebra danio. A few weeks later I added some platies. A few weeks later a few more. I tested nearly every day. At about 6 weeks, if I remember correctly, nitrate hit the barely detectable level without ever detecting ammonia or nitrite.

It was such a tiny bio load, and weeks and weeks of patience. However, I did have some fish to look at instead of a bare aquarium with ammonia on it. If I can find my original write up I will post it, if you want.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have cycled with fish, and without (aka Ace hardware ammonia cleaner).
How high did the ammonia get with fish? It was undetectable. I used to keep a web page describing the process, but have let it lapse. Essentially, I added very few fish to a 55 gallon
Tank and was VERY patient. I think I started with 6 zebra danio. A few weeks later I added some platies. A few weeks later a few more. I tested nearly every day. At about 6 weeks, if I remember correctly, nitrate hit the barely detectable level without ever detecting ammonia or nitrite.

It was such a tiny bio load, and weeks and weeks of patience. However, I did have some fish to look at instead of a bare aquarium with ammonia on it. If I can find my original write up I will post it, if you want.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That sounds like a very valuable tale of fish in cycling!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Fishless cycled both my 18gallon and 8 gallon.

First time was the 18gallon. Started from scratch and no seeded material. Took about 21 days. The 8gallon I took some gravel, sponge material and ceramic media from the 18 gallon and it fishless cycled in 10 days.

Used straight ammonia drops for both with small pinch of fish flakes. If you need more detail let me know.

I have cycled many tanks lots of different ways.

I have done both fish-in and fishless many times. I have used 3-4 different bottled bacteria products with mixed results. I have used established media from other tanks.

IMO, the most effective way is to add seeded media from other tanks regardless of whether you choose fish-in or fishless. Of course, that is not always available.

That sounds like a very valuable tale of fish in cycling!

Well, can't find my original write up, it dates back to 2004. But I did find my notes! On December 3 I added six one inch danios and four one inch platies to a 55 gallon tank. I fed sparingly, only what would be consumed immediately, nothing getting to the bottom of the tank.

12 days later I added three one inch platies. I continued the feeding to make sure no food accumulated in the tank. My target bioload of about 0.25 inch fish per gallon.

Day 28 one Platy not feeding well

34 days later I noticed some brown-green algae spots around the tank.

Day 35 I did a light vacuum, 15% water change with the vacuum.

Day 36 the poorly feeding platy went missing, couldn't find it.

Day 39 I had Nitrates of 5 ppm. I had never detected any ammonia or nitrites, the PH remained stable at 7.8. I tested nearly every day, but sometimes skipped a day.

Once I had nitrates, I began stocking the tank with more fish gradually, and doing normal tank maintenance. Water changes a few times a week since I had a push button system with a holding tank, vacuum, etc.

It was a very light bioload, careful feeding, and nearly six weeks of patience. It worked out well. That tank has now gone through many different renditions, and is currently a cichlid tank.

Well, can't find my original write up, it dates back to 2004. But I did find my notes! On December 3 I added six one inch danios and four one inch platies to a 55 gallon tank. I fed sparingly, only what would be consumed immediately, nothing getting to the bottom of the tank.

12 days later I added three one inch platies. I continued the feeding to make sure no food accumulated in the tank. My target bioload of about 0.25 inch fish per gallon.

Day 28 one Platy not feeding well

34 days later I noticed some brown-green algae spots around the tank.

Day 35 I did a light vacuum, 15% water change with the vacuum.

Day 36 the poorly feeding platy went missing, couldn't find it.

Day 39 I had Nitrates of 5 ppm. I had never detected any ammonia or nitrites, the PH remained stable at 7.8. I tested nearly every day, but sometimes skipped a day.

Once I had nitrates, I began stocking the tank with more fish gradually, and doing normal tank maintenance. Water changes a few times a week since I had a push button system with a holding tank, vacuum, etc.

It was a very light bioload, careful feeding, and nearly six weeks of patience. It worked out well. That tank has now gone through many different renditions, and is currently a cichlid tank.

That's a great, specific account of fish in cycling. The light cautious stocking pattern will be useful to refers others to. So often we see fish in with that many fish in a 29 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom