How difficult is it to move a tank long distance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryorgason

Aquarium Advice Regular
My husband may be getting a job 3000 miles away in NC, which means a big move for us. Can I move my fish that far without harming them, or will I have to get new ones after the move? I'm guessing that either way I will need to completely take down my tank and start the cycle over again. I have a 30 gal with white clouds, corys, otos, and a betta. I'm rather attached to the betta and corys, especially my 2 albinos, but I have no idea how I would safely move them! I do have an empty 10 gal and an empty 2.5 gal.

ryorgason said:
My husband may be getting a job 3000 miles away in NC, which means a big move for us. Can I move my fish that far without harming them, or will I have to get new ones after the move? I'm guessing that either way I will need to completely take down my tank and start the cycle over again. I have a 30 gal with white clouds, corys, otos, and a betta. I'm rather attached to the betta and corys, especially my 2 albinos, but I have no idea how I would safely move them! I do have an empty 10 gal and an empty 2.5 gal.

Moving a Betta is rather easy actually. Just put him in a small tub with a lid that does not prevent air from getting inside. They sit in the store like this for days.

It can be done, I've known people on this forum that have had to do it. I personally haven't but will get in contact with one that I know that has for you.

I moved a 36g 120 miles - heres what I did...

dont feed the day before the move

3 x 5g home depot buckets with lids
ciggarette lighter powered air pump, airline hose

fill 1 bucket 2/3 with tank water, add fish and heater. Drill 2 small holes in the lid and run airline hose through one hole. Put on lid and make sure hose is submerged - run the pump at least 5 min every hour when driving.

clean most of the detritus out of the gravel but dont overclean it - add the gravel to bucket 2 and some water - this bucket will be heavy. dont forget the lid.

bucket 3 has decorations, plants, filter pads and 2/3 filled with tank water... and a lid.

Then, the tank and buckets 2 and 3 can be moved however and you keep the fish bucket somewhere in a vehicle - suvs work great for this. If you have a power invertor, you can plug in your heater and a regular air pump instead of the car one.

thats how I did it - although I didnt need a heater... in fact if you're moving this summer, you might not either.

Thanks for the heads up, Zagz!

I'm guessing that either way I will need to completely take down my tank and start the cycle over again.
Take down the tank yes; cycle again, no.
I have a 30 gal with white clouds, corys, otos, and a betta.
Piece of cake!
Perhaps my husband and I have too much experience moving fish, last minute complications and still having a great survival rate. I have moved with my fish (at one time 6 tanks from 10-80 gallons), rodents, birds and cats back and forth from Canada and then across the state in both freezing temps and springtime. 3000 miles is longer, but very doable.

Keep the fish in a lined cooler with airstone and have your dechlor handy, as you will be doing PWC nightly. Only fill the cooler half way—you don’t water splashing about. You may also want a small heater (I used the visitherm stealths which have no glass), but if it’s warm enough, that will not be a problem. You want to keep the water on the cooler side (70-72F), which reduces metabolic rates and less waste is produced. We did not feed the fish for 3 days leading up to the move nor during the move. You have a lot less fish and a lot less PWC to do, so feeding is up to you. Keep in mind if the water temp is lowered, they will not want to eat at their usual rate and do to some stress, the fish may not want to eat at all. When you take the gravel out put it in a Rubbermaid and it will remain moist through the move. Since it is only one 30 gallon tank, you can take all the water with you in lidded buckets, or not. It was impossible for us to keep any water during our moves since the truck was very full and I wasn’t about to take buckets of water through Canadian customs. If you opt for using fresh water at the new house, dechlor it and then start running the filter. Make sure your Master Test kit is handy to monitor water values for the first week. I have not had to recycle a tank; the bacteria are more resistant that people give it credit for. Keep the filter media wet (in its own container with tank water), and the agitation of the water that occurs while driving will do plenty keep it aerated. Do not clean the filter in the weeks leading up to the move and the tank should be fine.
I have never moved in the hot summer months, which would add new challenges. Since you have so few fish, keep them in a smallish cooler that can be kept in the air conditioned area of the car. If you stop for a long break consider bringing the cooler with you (people at Denny’s won’t care ;)); at the very least, make sure you park in the shade and try to be quick about it!

Here’s some pics—if we could do it, so can you!

Some of the fish boxes at the motel
img_633353_0_88bcc9665f31dd0cafc0178ab2a892c0.jpg

Checking in on our friends
img_633353_1_d3693c7df32742978d5afafb72faa4fd.jpg

Car packed up the next morning. We used an adapter to hook up all the air pumps, but for one tank of fish, I would go with a battery powered air pump and have a splitter handy if you want to aerate the filter media at night.
img_633353_2_82856e3584d23932e8e4fa4a0c6f7d1e.jpg

Setting back up--as you can see, Squirrel had been very busy that day :roll:
img_633353_3_f75a9e7a062699237c8fc8c1e32d127f.jpg

We had to pay a fee for the cats; we didn't tell them the rodents would be stretching their legs in the bath tub--shavings went everywhere :oops:
img_633367_0_068e262c5e656796058d0f83dac9eca2.jpg

where would you get your electric from?? to place the heater in the buckets?

Okay, so what if we fly out and have a moving company drive our stuff? Chances are we will not drive as we have 3 little kids and another due in July, so driving for a week would be miserable. Can I take fish on an airplane? There would be no power source that I could use.

I have taken fish on a cross country flight and we were lucky to get them on. The people at the screening area didn't know what to do with them, so they stared at them for awhile and then rubbed the bags to test for chemicals. The fish were in plastic bags and simply placed in the overhead compartment no air, no heat. I have heard too many stories of people not being able to fly with their fish. The airlines don't want to deal with leaking bags and live animals, or there may be a fee involved. The best advice I have heard is to call the airline you will be flying and ask what their policy is. If you don't like the answer that representative gave you, call back and keep talking with different representatives until (hopefully) you get the answer you want and then make sure to write that person's name down.

Once you get to your new home, keep the fish in a cooler and do PWC nightly until your stuff arrives.

What about having your local LFS keep the fish for awhile and then ship them to you once you've moved and have the tank set up again? (you'll pay the shipping, of course) Fish get shipped all over the country all the time, and the LFS should be able to save some of their packing materials from their last fish shipment. That way you wouldn't have to worry about trying to get on the plane with them, and they would spend a lot less time in transit.

Back
Top Bottom