how do corys benefit your tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Corys are bottomfeeders, so swim along the bottom foraging for food. In my opinion, their worth in a tank doesn't come from their clean up abilities, but from their oblivious pluckiness! That's right, I said 'plucky'! They are just fun to watch, almost always moving, and keep the rest of the tank moving as well. I would say every tank should have some for that if it is possible.
As for price, in north Florida here, they are generally a 3.99 kind of fish, but it would probably depend on variety and what is available in your area.

Corys are not expensive to purchase, my LFS offers them for $6 each.

Typically Corydora do not grow larger than 5", most varieties smaller that 4" at maturity, and many that are smaller than 3". This is a benefit if you have a compact aquarium.

Peppered Corydora, a popular variety, can live in a broad temperature and pH range making them relatively easy to keep.

What size aquarium do you have? What type are you planning? Community? Species? etc?

They are unbelievably friendly fish!! I've never seen one chase another aggressively, and once you've had them long enough, they'll come check out your hand when you dip it in the tank (that's what happened with me, at least). When it comes to cleaning, they're not much help unless you tend to overfeed, but they are very fun to watch and easy to care for.

Here in the uk, you can pay anything from a couple.of.pounds to over twenty, depending on species and size. When I first starting reading a lot about corys, there were around 120 named species. Now there are over 160 and new ones are being found all the time.

Amazing little fish. They will eat any food missed by other fish (even if you are not heavy handed, some food will often reach the bottom of the tank) but you must ensure they get enough to eat. If a cory comes to the surface to feed, it is normally a very hungry one!

Fascinating to breed too, eh J.McPeak!

Ohhh, there must be some hard-core Cory experts here, I'm sure. When I was reading up on them a while back, there was an article that said their breeding was largely a mystery. It must be done, though, cause we buy the little buggers! Anyone have any articles or videos?

Breeding them is tricky, i have tried but no luck yet!,
They love the rainfall.. So at night after turning there lights out you use a watering can with cold water and pour it slowly into the tank, in the morning you should see eggs on the glass of your tank.

Ohhh, there must be some hard-core Cory experts here, I'm sure. When I was reading up on them a while back, there was an article that said their breeding was largely a mystery. It must be done, though, cause we buy the little buggers! Anyone have any articles or videos?

Must be a very old article. I have bred three species in the past. You will find youtube videos of this ' mystery' :)

Cories! My favorite! What cute, fun little fish. I love seeing them snuffling around the bottom of the tank.

Here in the uk, you can pay anything from a couple.of.pounds to over twenty, depending on species and size. When I first starting reading a lot about corys, there were around 120 named species. Now there are over 160 and new ones are being found all the time.

Amazing little fish. They will eat any food missed by other fish (even if you are not heavy handed, some food will often reach the bottom of the tank) but you must ensure they get enough to eat. If a cory comes to the surface to feed, it is normally a very hungry one!

Fascinating to breed too, eh J.McPeak!

Yes sir they are. It's simple enough. (I can't breed tetras though!) people say they are easy! That's my next goal!

Tell me how you get on?

Breeding them is tricky, i have tried but no luck yet!,
They love the rainfall.. So at night after turning there lights out you use a watering can with cold water and pour it slowly into the tank, in the morning you should see eggs on the glass of your tank.

Don't do it slow, splosh it in quick. See post 6 follow the link. (During the day is best so you can retrieve the adults and save the eggs)
Full picture account of my christmas spawn on Flickr see below:-

I love my Corys. I have 6 false Julies and love to watch them root around and play. There benefit IMO is they keep uneaten food cleaned up and there rooting around my carpet plants stirs up debris so that the filters can pick it up. Thus they help clean the tank that way also. OS.

i have green gold cory's and they have produced for me and made my addiction profitable. i have a pair in my tank with 15-20 babies in the tank with them and the babies help with the algae and keeping my plants clean

Yes sir they are. It's simple enough. (I can't breed tetras though!) people say they are easy! That's my next goal!

Not sure any tetras are easy buddy. Do bleeding hearts if you can. Apparently they are tricky but once they have bred, you can't stop them...... like rabbits!

They are also my all time fave tetra. Have some nice ones in at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom