How do do WC on big tank? 75g or bigger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkatts

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I currently have a 29g tank and do 50% wc every Saturday via siphon gravel vac.
I have already decided it's not big enough and am looking at bigger than 75g.
Doing a 38g change, 2 buckets at at a time would end my bacj. Not to mention filling it back up 2 gallon at at a time.
I don't have any faucets that I can attach that one pump used to siphon and fill.
So I'm wanting to see other options.
Some sort of electric pump?

I think I can extend my siphon vac with a hose and run it to the toilet in the winter and out the door to a planned rain barrel in in the summer.
But putting water back in I am having a challenge with since I need to pump in about 77* water.
I though maybe a new plastic garbage can on rollers and I submersible pump?
Treat/fill with warm water, roll it over to the tank and pump it in.
My kitchen faucet is and Moen that the whole faucet comes out from the neck as the sprayer
too. So I could pull it out enough to reach into a tall garbage can.
It's hard floor from there to the tank.
What do others do?

The garbage bin isn't a bad idea, assuming it's water tight. On our old 220g, we would use a powerhead to pump the water into a nearby drain through a hose. Refilling was a serious son of a b. Took three of us, two 5g Ozarks bottles at a time from our RO/DI system (saltwater). We changed about 50% one or twice a month.

You may be able to screw a refill hose onto the outlet where your faucet is connected under the sink. That's where we had our RO/DI unit hooked up. Couldn't pump directly into the tank since it needed to be mixed with salt. :/ I will say having a huge sump was helpful - much easier to dump water into something on the ground than 5 feet in the air.

With my 65g tank currently, I've just been pulling three 5g buckets worth out, them refilling using the same buckets by hand. I'll use a jar and slowly pour the first two gallons before I can safely dump straight from the bucket.

I've really considered getting an electric pump or running straight from the faucet, but I'm liking the workout. lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ugg. I have a hard enough time with a 2g bucket! Two back surgeries. Lol.
Plus my intention is to have an average 75g tank but have it sitting on a custom stand that will be about 42" tall so I wouldn't be able to get the bucket that high. Lol

Have you thought about the shower head? I use to do the same then used a power head to move the water from a laundry basket to tank.

The shower is upstairs it's to far away for me.
Thanks though!

I don't have one yet. Just making plans and getting thoughts together.

I have a fluval fx5 on my 75 it came with 3 connector valves so if needed be I can use the xtra one to fill or flush my tank.

They are. But it's just a personal preference. I also have aquaclear and they work good as long as the water level is not low from the lip then they sound like water fall decorations

That's cool.
More to think about now. Lol.
Thanks for the input.

Ugg. I have a hard enough time with a 2g bucket! Two back surgeries. Lol.
Plus my intention is to have an average 75g tank but have it sitting on a custom stand that will be about 42" tall so I wouldn't be able to get the bucket that high. Lol

Then problem solved.
Simply get a trash can/Rubbermaid tub that can hold about 15-20 gallons and fits under your stand. Then plumb it with a hose fitting and ball valve, (optional depending on your specific set-up) a submersible pump, maybe air stone.
Then all you have to do is hook the hose up, fill the container, add whatever conditioner, maybe drop a heater in there, let it sit/percolate for 24 hours, then pump into the display tank.
No need to do 50% changes, especially freshwater, unless an emergency.
Do 10%-15% weekly, a 20 gallon tub would handle that nicely.
Plus 10% changes will be faster overall and will save on back issues. ;)

I bought the python T valve off ebay and hose from a local hardware store. The python valve doesn't connect to any of our sinks so I bought an adapter to hook up to our shower head. I ran 5 foot of hose down, connected the T valve then ran another 30 foot of hose to remove and add water. It was a fraction of the price VS the store bought python systems.

Back
Top Bottom