How do i breed these guppies???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martintanks91

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 Male and 1 female guppies and i been trying to breed them for months but i havent had any luck. Theyr in a 10 galón tank with a marina s15 filter and a heater set at 28 degrees. Any help???ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411924505.817472.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411924538.828719.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You should have 1 male to every 2 females, maybe she is being chased too much and does not want to give birth. Female guppies like peace and quiet when they are having babies, I would get more females so she dosent get bothered so much.

I check on them every day. I only saw her get fat once in 3 months. Maybe that time they did eat the fry but she hasnt gotten fat since

guppies are always pregnant they only need to breed once for ever 6 broods , what are you feeding them and what are your water temps

guppies are always pregnant they only need to breed once for ever 6 broods , what are you feeding them and what are your water temps

It's 3 broods on average, but you're correct it's rare to find a female guppy that's not pregnant.

I have 2 Male and 1 female guppies and i been trying to breed them for months but i havent had any luck. Theyr in a 10 galón tank with a marina s15 filter and a heater set at 28 degrees. Any help???View attachment 251187View attachment 251188

The 28 degrees is a bit high. Guppies actually prefer cooler water. I would try to reduce it to around 24 degrees.

Is there much cover in the tank for babies? I would be surprised if they were ALL getting eaten. That didn't even happen to me when I had them in a community tank with GBRs.

I feed them tetra min witch have great reviews and they seem to like them and ya i mean i have some wood for hiding. Héres a few pics. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411928660.583668.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411928876.408658.jpg

Yeah, I would start with a bunch of fake plants. They give great places for gupplets to hide. Or even live plants :D

But the problem is that i dont even see her get fat. But lets say she does have babies, in how much time do the guppies take to eat the fry?

Um, I've had whole batches gone in minutes. You need basically a half a tank filled- and I mean PACKED- with plants, fake or live.

Emerald76

As an example, my tank has been running for three years. Four deaths and eight fish sold. I had a large chunk of wood filled with tunnels and eight or ten floating plants packed into the back left corner where the fish liked to have fry. I have maybe fifteen fish. After three years, in a pretty densely covered tank.

Emerald76

You could get a little breeding container that goes in your tank which separates the babies from the mom and all other adults. The mom goes in the upper part where there are small slits for the babies to fall into and the mom can't access.

Unless, guppy fry are huge. It works with platy fry. Here in Southern California, a plastic breeding bin is about $7 US at petco (which is surprisingly the least expensive place to purchase this despite their inflated prices of everything else).

I actually dislike breeding nets and traps- very stressful on mom and babies.

Emerald76

Does the female ever looked pregnant?
Doesn't take much for guppies...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I bought this thing at the LFS thats like a container to put the female guppy in. Do u guys think it streses her or any advise? When should i put the guppy in? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412219026.252653.jpg

I bought this thing at the LFS thats like a container to put the female guppy in. Do u guys think it streses her or any advise? When should i put the guppy in? View attachment 251555

Does it have a thing that separates the upper portion from the bottom that has little slits in it for the fry to sink into? That is what I have. I put my platy in it when she has seriously dropped, switches between isolating and darting around, and her body is a c shaped from top to bottom or u shaped. My platy will alsospend a lot of time hanging out vertically.

It does stress her out a little at first, but I turn the lights off and cover the aquarium with a towel to make it dark and she calms down easily.

If it doesn't have the separator, then I don't think it will help,because it is a smaller space and easier for her to catch and eat the babies.

The guy at the LFS told me that the mom doesnt eat the fry only the other fish do. Bull right? It does come with the seperater i didnt put it yet

Back
Top Bottom