How do i catch/trap assassin snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leek86

Aquarium Advice Activist
My dad added an assassin snail to his tank to cure his snail problem (tiny pond snail looking things) and now he'd like some apple snails but the lfs said the assassin would attack them, so my question is how to I catch/trap it as we never see it?

New to aquariums... But I'm sure you could put a snail in there and then wait for the assassin snail to go after it...

They're definitely more active at night so I'd just wait a bit after you turn your tank light off and then look for it.

Hang a lettuce leaf in your tank before you go to bed and remove it first thing in the morning hopefully with snail attached, happily munching away :)

^Great tactic for pond snails but not for assassin snails... Unless the assassin snail is attracted to the pond snails that are attracted to the lettuce!

azmodan said:
^Great tactic for pond snails but not for assassin snails... Unless the assassin snail is attracted to the pond snails that are attracted to the lettuce!

My bad. Should have read original post properly! Saw snail and just jumped straight in!

I recently asked the guy at my lfs about snails and he sold me 3, one large Apple, one tiny Assassin and a medium Ramshorn. He assured me the Assassin snail was not large enough to hurt the other two, because I was concerned.

So far the assasin snail isn't bothering anybody, but it has only been 4 days.

Yeah, they can definitely take down snails much larger than them. One of mine took down one of my big zebra nerite snails with little problem.

Assassin snails will burrow into the substrate so I would guess that's the best time to snatch them up.

@vanimal

Look up "assassin snail in action"... The first one that comes up should show u how it happens... All you need to do is watch the first 2 minutes...

Back
Top Bottom