How do I clean a tank after ich killed off my goldfishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giants1249er

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 2 goldfish succumbed to ich the past few days. I was wondering how do you go about cleaning the infected tank so you don't get a reocurrence when you get newer fish. Do you need to get rid of the old filter with the good bacteria and get a new one and start all over with the cycling process? Thanks for your advice.

Ich needs a host to survive. If you crank heat up to 86f and leave it empty for 10-14 days, it will be all dead. It will probably be dead before that, but I would wait 2 weeks to be safe.

A good gravel vacuuming wouldn't hurt either.

Put in a small amount of fish food per day to keep bacteria fed.

You could pour chemical treatments into the tank, but if you can just wait, you won't need to.

I couldn't fault salt treatment, pop 5 teaspoons per gallon into ur pwc bucket and replace 50% of ur current tank water with the salted water leave for 2 weeks with ur temp at 86 and ur ich problem should b gone! Worked a treat for me, there's loads of useful info on salt treatment online and on here to help u thru

Someone on another fish site mentioned Potassium Permanganate. Anyone tried this to clean a tank?

Back
Top Bottom