How do I filter a mud/sand tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mannie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want to have mudskippers living in...mud, but I also want to be able to have water movement and filtration. Anyone have a solution to this sans filter getting clogged and destroyed?

mannie said:
I want to have mudskippers living in...mud, but I also want to be able to have water movement and filtration. Anyone have a solution to this sans filter getting clogged and destroyed?

Reptofilters are awesome :)

I also want to simulate tide every 6 hours. What would be the best way to do this?

I was looking at the reptofilters on amazon. I'm just wondering if they will get clogged. I'm going to mix aragonite and reptile clay to make mud

mannie said:
I was looking at the reptofilters on amazon. I'm just wondering if they will get clogged. I'm going to mix aragonite and reptile clay to make mud

Hmmm I don't really know...

Canister filter!?? I dunno... Hopefully someone with more experience
Will help u out soon. I only have fish and shrimp

If you find out how to simulate the tide could you let me know where to find the info.

skiweeangel said:
If you find out how to simulate the tide could you let me know where to find the info.

I would run a powerhead with a wave maker on it.

I'm not a genius but I'd say everyfilter has a chance to get clogged with something. Think of the algea, food, random bits and debry will all go through the filter amd have a chance to clog it. That why we maintain and clean our equipment is it not? And also to keep it running at optimal performance and last longer

Yes Hobgob, you're right. I was just hoping someone has had experience with in/out of tank filters that are especially good with sand. I'm also hoping someone will respond who has created a tide system.

dont bump the Mods dont like it , I just saw mud skippers today at my LFS almost came with a couple and ten gallon tank but the store guy didnt know how big they got , i wanted mud skippers ever since muddy mud skipper on ren and stimpy , they were so freakin cool

Ok. Sorry! Yeah. They're awesome. They have so much personality. Ren n stimpy! Loved that show! God that was like 20 years ago I think...

IMO if you rinse the sand really good before adding it, the filter shouldn't get clogged. A lot of people on this site use aquaclear filters, personally I like marine land biowheels. I've only had one biowheel break in using them for 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom