How do i find good dirt ? And where

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zinnib123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am new to this aquarium dirt method and would like to know how to do it and where to find my supplies

From what I've read most use an organic potting soil like Miracle Grow. Just be sure to remove and wood chips that are in it first.

I saw miracle grow contains a lot of fertilizer like ammonia (N) or other nitrogen nutriments, be carefull for ammonia or phosphate spike.

I have got top soil and clay and will cap it with sand ?

Is it organic topsoil? if not than it may contain fertilizers. and you will have to do the remineralization process to get it out. At this time of the year that is going to be a real PITA.

I do not suggest using regular top soil unless the bag specifically says Organic. I've been dirting tanks for years and any Organic Potting Soil will indeed work but many choose Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix. You also don't have to remove larger chunks unless they are huge or your using it in a very small tank. If you want you can add a very thin layer of laterite on top of your dirt before capping to give a good clay layer for added iron. Don't use dirt dug up from anywhere either as again you have no idea what might be in it.

All done

Attachments

• image-1883173638.jpg
    image-1883173638.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 65
  • image-654909105.jpg
    image-654909105.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 65
Not to steal the topic but do you just throw the soil right into the tank like right out of the bag?
Also can you put sand or gravel on top of the dirt?

With Miracle grow organic, you can use it right out of the bag. Most people like myself do sift it to get the larger pieces and sticks out. Yes, you need to cap it with something, be it gravel or sand. You want to try and keep the dirt out of the water column.

Is this it?

Attachments

• image-1182026662.jpg
    image-1182026662.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 54
  • image-3208171039.jpg
    image-3208171039.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 53
How did you get it clean? Right now all the water in a test bucket is brown and stuff is floating everywhere.

How did you get it clean? Right now all the water in a test bucket is brown and stuff is floating everywhere.

Your not suppose to clean it. Pour out as much water as you can and then let it dry out till moist. When dirting a tank you put the soil in the tank dry. Then moisten it, not make it wet or soupy or your cap can just sink into it. After moistening the dirt, compact it with your hand. Next gently put your cap substrate over the dirt. Then put a plate or bowl on the cap and very very slowly add water to fill the tank using the bowl to diffuse the water so it doesn't mess up your cap layer.

Done my 10 gallon! I'm gonna see how it goes Andover it works well, then I'll do my 25g.

Attachments

• image-1678850866.jpg
    image-1678850866.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom