How do I fix my leaking 125 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caliskier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
8O My tank has a small leak in the rear corner, so small that it drips about once every 5 min. I went out and bought some silicone for aquariums. Now how do I repair it. Do I...

A. Take apart the whole tank, get the silicone off all edges of the glass, glue it back together and resilicone the joints

B. Remove silicone from all sides on the bottom and all the corners going up and down where the sides meet. Then resilicone

C. Remove only the silicone on the bottom and resilicone

D. Remove only a portion of the silicone on the bottom where I think the leak is.

E. Do not remove any silicone, cover all the old silicone on the bottom with new silicone making sure the new silicone touches both pieces of glass. (guy at work suggested that, I didn't think that was right)

Trying to avoid screwing up my tank big time. So any good advice from someone who has experience screwing it up and doing it right later would be great.

Drain it a little at a time until you figure out exactly where the leak is, then lower it an inch more. Cut out with a razor knife (exacto, whatever) the silicone over the leak and about half an inch on either side of the leak, then fill in the gap and overlap on each side by an inch or two. let it dry for 2 days, then refil.

Thanks, wow it will be very hard to find the leak as it stopped leaking as soon as I began removing water, but I can do that, trial and error I guess until I finnaly get it.

Back
Top Bottom