How do I get my driftwood to sink???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exactionfigure

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought some Ghostwood from Blackjungle.com and it looks awesome
I just started a 20 gallon community tank today(I will start another post for those questions:) ) and I can't get the driftwood to stay down, I wedged it between the glass but it just pops up after 20mins or so.
its' too big to put a rock on top of, here is a pic:
img_547041_0_d4faab35a186ea2ad41d1655b4a2873f.jpg

The wood was pretreated for use in Dart frog vivariums so I didn't have to boil it and it's not staining the water or anything.

Right now I have it propped up under the lip of the filter so that most of it is under water but it's at the top instead of in the middle (I plan to aquascape around it)

So how do I get this thing to sink?
How long does it take before it becomes waterlogged?

Thanks
-Matt

All you can do is soak it. It can take a while you could epoxy a piece of slate to the bottom of it to help weigh it down.

people say they have taken it and boiled it(ive never done it so idk how long) or sunk it in water for a day

also did i cost alot to ship the driftwood?

About all you can do is wait til it gets water logged. Boiling might help some, but will take a little time to get all soaked up inside.

Your best bet would probably be to screw a piece of slate to the bottom and then put gravel on top of the slate. There's no telling how long it will take for it to get waterlogged and eventually sink!

Wow thanks for the fast and helpful responses
I kinda like the idea of screwing a piece of slate or something heavy into base of it.
Or maybe tie it to a rock or something I wish there was a time limit or something so I would have an idea when it would sink, I don't want to put any fish in until it does:(

The wood was not expensive to ship at all it's not really heavy, I bought a few pieces because I plan to do a poison dart frog tank at some point

I highly highly recommend this wood to everyone for any type of tank, it looks amazing
In person.
Thanks guys
-Matt

Since it is not very heavy it will take longer to sink. That's even if it ever does sink. Some pieces will always float and will require other means to make it sink.

I put my wood in a huge bucket, filled it to the brim and put the lid on it and waited 2 days. Sinks like a stone now!

Good Luck

i found 2 peices for my tank, i boiled both peices for about 6 hours and they were water logged when i found them, one of them sinks, one of them doesnt and i dont think it ever will with out some sort of weight

In the future look into buying denser woods that are self sinking that way you don't have to go through all the water logging and what not.

I don't know whether this is true or not, but it sounds like it should be, so I'll share it: if you boil the wood (or soak it in boiling water if it won't fit in the pot), the heat will cause the pores on the wood to open, and it will become waterlogged faster.

boiling wood is supposed to speed up the water logging process, along with killing bacteria and the color leaching thing, it smelt like rank tea

The driftwood i bought was already premounted to a piece of slate and it never leached tannins or anything. Of course it was about 14.00 for the small piece thats in my 10 gallon but it looks great.

Malaysian Driftwood is great for self-sinking. After a week or two of soaking, the tannins should not be in the water.

Back
Top Bottom