How do I get rid of wate mark around tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am setting up a used glass tank and it has a mark around it for the water line it appears. What can I use besides water to get it off? I tried scrubbing it with a sponge made for glass and some water and that didn't help.

Use a diluted bleach solution. I dumped about 3/4 of a large bottle of clorox into my 29 gallon full of water. Then scrub like there's no tomorrow. It really did the trick with tough water spots and other signs of wear for me. Just remember to RINSE WELL AFTER USING IT. If you think you've rinsed enough, rinse more. Any trace of bleach will kill your fish. (To rinse mine, I took my tank outside, stood it straight up, and rinsed it for about 20 minutes with a garden sprayer)

You can also fill the tank up with water and add a liberal dose of tap water conditioner to neutralize any remaining chlorine left from the bleach once done cleaning.

Vinegar also works well and is less toxic.

For stubborn spots try toothpaste (paste, not gel). Rub gently at first and increase pressure as needed. You don't want to go crazy with the rubbing or you could leave a rainbow effect in the glass. Wash with vinegar when done and rinse well.

Back
Top Bottom