Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

How do I go about feeding small fish in a large community tank?

I just got about 20 rummy nose tetras two days ago and failed to realize how small they are! I have a 90 gallon aquarium and some larger fish so the poor guys donít seem to all get food! Some of the bigger ones seem to be doing fine and have round bellies but a handful of the school is very skinny

The current problem isnít that all the other fish push them away but that they canít fit even the mini pellets in their mouths and by the time they would have had to soak theyíre eaten by someone else. They do try to eat but eventually give up when they canít fit the pellet in their mouth and let it sink to the bottom.

Iíd rather not continue adding the micro pellets to this tank and just use the ďsmallĒ size omega one instead but Iíd like to get these guys settled in first, they make a lot of my other fish much more active! Iím also planning on getting more largish fish relatively soon so need to figure this out!

Are there any tricks to teach them to eat better or some contraption for them to eat from? Specific food brands and types?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3841.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	312813

Old 05-01-2019, 10:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use flakes and pellets when I feed and spread it across the entire length of the tank. It makes it harder for the pigs of the tank to be in every spot at the same time and the little ones can feed. Flakes seem to be easier to eat as they aren't as hard and can be broken down to a very small size.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
I use flakes and pellets when I feed and spread it across the entire length of the tank. It makes it harder for the pigs of the tank to be in every spot at the same time and the little ones can feed. Flakes seem to be easier to eat as they aren't as hard and can be broken down to a very small size.

Youíre right, Iíd think flakes pose less of a problem. I do see so many advocating for pellets instead though and that small fish learn to eat them eventually but I guess flakes are a lot better than starving to death! Iíll have to see if I have any left somewhere.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladka View Post
Youíre right, Iíd think flakes pose less of a problem. I do see so many advocating for pellets instead though and that small fish learn to eat them eventually but I guess flakes are a lot better than starving to death! Iíll have to see if I have any left somewhere.
Honestly most dry foods are just about the same. Flake vs pellet doesn't matter. That being said, New Life Spectrum is my favorite pellet and Cobalt or Sera are my number one flakes. Just check the ingredients. They are the most important part of any flake or pellet. Look for whole seafood, insects, or vegetables/leafy greens to make up most of the top 5 or 10. If they do it is most likely a good food!

Tags
community, community tank, feed, feeding, fish, large, small, tan, tank, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com