How do I INCREASE Nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galerius

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, for 5 weeks in a row my Nitrates are reading at 0 ppm in my planted tank, and my plants have stopped showing signs of growth. Algae growth is even minimal. I've added Flourish Nitrogen as per directions, but how much is too much? I don't want to shock my fish, as they are more important to me and are showing gorgeous/vibrant colors and vigor.

Current parameters:
30 gallon long
pH 7.0 (using non-phosphate buffers)
Amm 0
N'ites 0
N'ates 0
GH 3-4
KH 3
Phosphate .5 - 1 ppm
Laterite mixed subtrate
96 watt CF light
Hagen CO2 injector, supplemented by Flourish Excel 1x week
Filtration: Emp 280 with polyester fill (no carbon); Fluval 204 with standard media, added peat granules, no carbon

Occupants:
8 Bloodfin Tetras (1.00-1.25 inches each)
7 Blue Tetras (1.00-1.25 inches each)
5 Blue Rams (1.25 each)
4 Julii Corys (1.25 each)
1 Oto (1.75)
1 SAE (2.00)

I do weekly water changes of 20-25%. Given that my water parameters seem to be excellent, should I go bi-weekly for water changes to bring back some nitrates? And given the 1-inch per gallon rule for fish stocking, I'm at the limit, but with the heavy planting, could I over stock to bring back good amounts of Nitrates? (This isn't my first choice, as I like the visual balance I have between fish and plants)

What non-phosphate buffers are you using and why are you using them? If your tap water has nitrates in it then you could do more frequent water changes. Or you could go to www.gregwatson.com and buy some KNO3 and add that.

When my nitrates showed 0 I used the Flourish Nitrogen also. I dosed 1/2 cc once and that got my nitrates up to around 12.5. Don't go over 12.5. Dose in small amounts(1/2cc) until this level is achieved. You will more than likely need to add some phosphate also.

Rex,

I'm using SeaChem's Acid Regulator and Akaline Buffer, both are phosphate and nitrate free. Phosphate buffers kept my water stable, but also gave me an algae garden, which was only pleasing to the Oto.

My water from the tap is extremely soft and unstable. Tap parameters = pH 8.4, GH 2.5, KH 1. According to city officials (I've had my water tested), these readings are not uncommon for a home as old as mine, with older steel (not copper) pipes. After 24 hours of "stand down" and aeration, pH drops to 6.0 - 6.5. To avoid large pH swings from day to night (with CO2 use), I use a combo of the Regulator and Buffer to keep the tank's pH stable at 6.8 at night and 7.0 during the day. I only adjust the water to be used for water changes, never the tank.

HTH

Why not be cheap like me and use baking soda, calcium carbonate and epsom salts? I too have very soft acidic tap water. Mine comes from the tap most of the year at 6.4-6.6 with NO gH or kH.

I understand the use of your buffers. But I see so many people that don't have an understanding of the CO2/pH/kH chart that think if they use an acid buffer to lower the pH they will increase the CO2 level of their water.

Back
Top Bottom