how do I lower hardness(GH)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JWALK2828

Aquarium Advice Regular
today I noticed my water hardness has gone up from 75ppm to upwards of 300ppm (test sticks not API) in the last three weeks or so. I read that high levels of GH create calcium and magnesium causing mineral desposites on tanks and equipment. I havn't seemed to have this problem as of yet. My tank is crystal clear and I would like to keep it that way.

is this a problem? how do i fix it?

ps. I do not want to add products or chemicals to my tank.

Removing water from the tank and replacing it with purified water such as distilled, RO/DI, etc. will lower the GH of the tank. GH is principally a measure of Ca+2 and Mg+2 ions just as you thought. You won't see it until the water evaporates and then you are left with white residue on your lids and the glass. This is the hardness that is in your water that didn't evaporate when the water did. You GH will increase over time unless you change your water and add purified water. It really isn't a problem for most specimens but there are a few where it is a necessitry to have softer water.

Not exactly the same characteristics. Water that runs off the land and goes to a river won't have much hardness to it while water from a well that had been filtered through a limestone layer will be considerably higher in GH. 300ppm is considered to be high GH but it's still perfectly fine. I keep and spawn discus, rams, angelfish, and others in the same exact hardness (from a well) and the eggs are fertile when they aren't supposed to be. I really wouldn't worry about it. If it bugs you that much you can change it with some purified water or do a 100% water change with your tap water, which I'm assuming is at 75ppm since that's what you stated it started off as.

today I noticed my water hardness has gone up from 75ppm to upwards of 300ppm (test sticks not API) in the last three weeks or so.

I don't think your hardness is a problem myself. Consistent water changes will keep your water parameters stable and near that of the tap/source you are using. The strips can be off by quite a bit. Liquid tests on the whole have greater accuracy. If you decide to do anything, use a liquid test kit to check your readings first.

really eh, alright well sounds like im worrying a bit to much. thanks

Maybe so, but it is nice to see that you are concerned. Most fish are farm raised and can adjust to a wide range of water hardness. I only suggest adjusting GH/PH etc............... if you have specific reason to do so. Breeding, keeping Africans etc...........................

I suggest you not worry about the GH and sit back and enjoy the fish.

today I noticed my water hardness has gone up from 75ppm to upwards of 300ppm (test sticks not API) ....

The test stripes are not accurate (liquid kits are much better), so it is best not to doctor your water based on that. At any rate 300 ppm is just fine for most fish, so no need to do anything even if the reading is true.

Lower gh

Hey I was having the problem of having a high GH, well I red fourm after fourm and could not get anything. well I finally found something that works and did not cost an arm and a leg. API Water softening pillow. Works great, only like $10, cheaper than getting distilled water at the store or collecting rain water which is a pain in the butt.

:eating:

I would strongly advise against the use of water softening pillows to reduce GH. Most (if not all) simply replace calcium and magnesium ions with sodium ions. While this would cause testing to show lower GH you would actually be increasing TDS (total dissolved solids) which will prove even more detrimental to your aquarium inhabitants that require soft water.

I believe so but I haven't used peat with fhe express purpose of lowering water hardness so I cant give you much in the way of details.

I'd suggest trying some in a filter bag in a seperate container and see what kind of results you get.

Just know it will affect more than just hardness (pH namely) and will also discolor the water (although filtering your finished water through carbon may rectify that).

I use Distilled water 100%, but my GH is still showing 9-10. I was told that if GH is too high it can cause Algae, if this is correct, then I should get my GH cut in half.
I am using CO2 and low to medium light.

I use a distilled water product that says it is mineral free, but when I test it I am getting 5-6 GH reading. Why is this? I thought distilled water and being mineral free would have zero GH?

Would you recommend Peat and if I used peat would it turn my water yellow?

P.S. So how would I lower my GH to say 5?

Thank you

Decreasing GH

Have 60 gl, African Cichlid Aquarium. PH-8.2, KH-180, GH-300. Fish are active and in good health. Live in Southern California, with hard water. Do I need to bring down my GH, or leave it alone? If I need to bring it down, will that also decrease my PH. I want my PH to stay at 8.2. The above conditions, I have had for over 6 months. Thanks for advise.

Have 60 gl, African Cichlid Aquarium. PH-8.2, KH-180, GH-300. Fish are active and in good health. Live in Southern California, with hard water. Do I need to bring down my GH, or leave it alone? If I need to bring it down, will that also decrease my PH. I want my PH to stay at 8.2. The above conditions, I have had for over 6 months. Thanks for advise.

I think you have answered your own question. If fish are active and healthy why are you concerned?

To bring down GH, typically you would use 50% Tap water and 50% RODI water but this would alter ph.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom