how do i make soft water with 6.5ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to be keeping blue rams and need soft water with 6.5ph. My tap water is about 7.6ph and hard. Iv read online how to do it but I don't understand. Please explain how I can do this. And please don't use abbreviations because that's were most my struggle is in learning how to do this.

You really don't need to mess with your water chemistry, like jeta said. But if you insist on doing it don't use chemical buffers, use peat moss and driftwood

You really don't need to mess with your water chemistry, like jeta said. But if you insist on doing it don't use chemical buffers, use peat moss and driftwood

I want t lower so the breed and I want them to their best color and that requires low ph. My tank el have a large price of driftwood in it will this help.

I want t lower so the breed and I want them to their best color and that requires low ph. My tank el have a large price of driftwood in it will this help.

They'll breed and look just fine in 7.6ph. The driftwood will lower pH if it is releasing tannins.

I wouldn't consider messing with the pH at all unless you start experiencing issues, no use fixing what aint broken.

They'll breed and look just fine in 7.6ph. The driftwood will lower pH if it is releasing tannins.

I wouldn't consider messing with the pH at all unless you start experiencing issues, no use fixing what aint broken.

According to all the information I have read and been told about breeding rams this is not true because high ph at 7.6 will harden the eggs and the fish will not hatch.

According to all the information I have read and been told about breeding rams this is not true because high ph at 7.6 will harden the eggs and the fish will not hatch.

There are plenty of people keeping and breeding rams, discus, or whatever other fish at a PH of 7.6 including me, mines at 7.8 and I've kept and bred darn near everything.

Likewise, I kept a breeding colony of electric blue and gold rams for over a year, trust me, don't mess with anything unless you are having an issue, it'll save you a lot of trouble.

Now let's say you have a breeding pair and the eggs don't hatch, then I'd start looking at options, but no sense in going down that road till you get there.

i had problems at 8.0+

well i read that you should let your water sit for 24hrs then test it and I had a bucket of water that i had whiped up last night for a water change and let it sit over night and so i tested it tonight and its PH was 8.0 and so i called my LFS and they told me that were we live our tap water has a standard ph of 8.0

Back
Top Bottom