How do I sex Red Cherry Shrimp???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

owen0992

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was only able to buy four when I bought mine and was wondering how to tell if I have both males and females as I want to start a breeding colony. Also how do I get them to breed?

I was only able to buy four when I bought mine and was wondering how to tell if I have both males and females as I want to start a breeding colony. Also how do I get them to breed?

Females usually get a yellow "saddle" behind their heads, and it moves down to their bellies. These are eggs developing inside her. Males are usually smaller and can be less colorful.

Thanks for the info. Pretty sure I have at least one female then. Now the question becomes why haven't they started breeding yet. Only had them for just over a month but I read that they are pretty prolific.

Thanks for the info. Pretty sure I have at least one female then. Now the question becomes why haven't they started breeding yet. Only had them for just over a month but I read that they are pretty prolific.

They will breed if you maintain the water parameters, feed them well (pretty much any fish foods will work), make sure the temperature is 72-28 degrees, and provide places for them to hide. It can take a while for them to settle in and start to reproduce.

Back
Top Bottom