How do i ship fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on how many you want to ship, really.
If it's just a few, use a box about 8 inches square and line it with foam. Make sure you double bag and pack so they can't shift around. Use air permeable bags.
Check with your LFS, they may have a foam shipping container they could give you and you can cut it up to line the box with. Talk to them about how they receive shipments.
If you have lots of fish, use the shipping box as is, but put it in a cardboard box.
You'll need to ship via air mail, or air freight. The airlines will pick up at your door and deliver, not cheep though.

By the look of your signature, you are in B.C. There are several members on Canadian Aquarium Connection who ship regularly. Join there and ask Melody or Blaine.

Good luck.
Rick

If its in the US you can use USPS Express...its overnight to most areas. I've shipped priority mail....but it would depend on the fish, where they are going and what the temps are there.....june weather isn't great in most areas, so doing something overnight is probably the best option.

I've used regular bags...like the ones they use at the lfs. See if they'll give your or sell you a few, depending on how many fish you have to ship. Fill about 1/3 with water and 2/3 with air from an air pump....or if you can have the lfs put oxygen in the bags, even better.

Good tips on the box ^. Foam lined boxes will be more insulating....better for hot weather. You could get cool packs if needed....but if its going to be overnight, then you don't need them IMO.

I've shipped fish the way I explained (used air, not oxygen) and priority mail successfully....with no deaths a few times. Express mail is what I'd suggest though for in the US. Its cheaper than UPS or Fed Ex.

Back
Top Bottom