How do I tell a female betta from a plakat male betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
I tried googling, and I can find no such information anywhere. I know they look similar. One of my two supposedly female bettas is harassing the other a lot. It does look a little different in a some ways, but I can't get it to stay still long enough to get a good enough picture.

Are there any tell tale signs that anybody knows to tell the difference in the two? I'll try and get some pics later. Right now the fish are hiding because the lights just came on.

Thanks!

check for an opivositor (sp?) if he/she has a little white dot sticking out from between the two fins on the underside, its a girl. If not, its a male plakat.

She could just be really agressive. I had a females once that would not tolerate other female bettas in the same tank as her.

Thanks guys. It took me a while to get to see the undersides of the fish, but they are all definitley females. I'm beginning to thing that they will *hopefully* work things out. One day the red chases the blue one, the next day its the other way around, so we'll see. Least I'm 100% sure now that they are definitley female.

Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom