How do I transfer my fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylittlemollies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,
I have 14 balloon Molly fry and have set up a new tank to keep them in. They are currently in a breeding box in my main tank but pretty soon will be too big to stay there, not to mention my females are pregnant again and will need to put new fry in there. How do I go about moving my fry to their new tank? I have read horror stories on where where people have moved their fry and they have all died and I want to do everything I can to avoid this happening. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Make sure your fry tank is well cycled.Do a fishless cycle. Keep the PH and temperature the same in both tanks. Transfer the pregnant fish into the fry tank before they give birth. It is safer to remove the female after she gives birth than it is to transfer the fry. If you have to transfer the fry be very sure to acclimate them like you would a new fish. Take even longer with the fry. If you could transfer a large quantity of water from the parent tank to the fry tank before transferring fry it would help.

Back
Top Bottom