How do YOU acclimate your fishes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingforfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Already thinking ahead on how ill go about acclimating new fish that is well in my stocking plan.
5 panda cories, and maybe a honey gourami (mixed feelings)

I don't have the equipment for the drip acclimation method, should I just buy it the same time I buy the fish?
And then there's the floating bag method, but I am too paranoid to even begin on the fact that their tank water might go in mines..

Anyway, back to the point--what is your way of acclimating fishes, and what do you find the most effective?

The tank float method has always worked for me. Because my tank is eatablished i dont like to mix store water into my tank. I usually foat and let a little bit of my tank water into their bags a little at a time and drain the fish into a net and welcome them fully into my tank.

The tank float method has always worked for me. Because my tank is eatablished i dont like to mix store water into my tank. I usually foat and let a little bit of my tank water into their bags a little at a time and drain the fish into a net and welcome them fully into my tank.

How long does it usually take you?:)

But..if you poked a hole into the bag while its floating on your tank wouldn't that leak the bag water? Or maybe I'm just not functioning it right haha

It does, but the place I by fish from are high grad, they medicate for anything and everything, there at the top of the top for Fish keeping

It does, but the place I by fish from are high grad, they medicate for anything and everything, there at the top of the top for Fish keeping

Lucky!!!! I live far from town so all I got is my local petco. They have quite a good stocking of fishes but I don't like the idea of their water touching mines. Haha

I want to do that, but I heard it could take up to 2 hours :\ all you need is airline tubing?

It depends how fast the drip from the airline is. Normally you can double or triple the bag water in 20-30 minutes. For really sensitive fish and inverts you can slow the flow and make it take longer. You can tie knots in the tube to slow the flow to what you want it. I use a clothes peg :) There are how-to videos on youtube.

I use the drop and plop method and haven't lost fish yet. I read an article on TPT about it. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to acclimate. Everyone has a preference and a reason backing it.

I use the drop and plop method and haven't lost fish yet. I read an article on TPT about it. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to acclimate. Everyone has a preference and a reason backing it.

What is the "drop and plop" method? I'm assuming you just put them in..

It depends how fast the drip from the airline is. Normally you can double or triple the bag water in 20-30 minutes. For really sensitive fish and inverts you can slow the flow and make it take longer. You can tie knots in the tube to slow the flow to what you want it. I use a clothes peg :) There are how-to videos on youtube.

Ahh, I think the panda cories would appreciate that! Thank you, I'll have a look into it! :)

Back
Top Bottom