Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How do you anchor driftwood?

I spend some quality time today gathering some really interesting looking driftwood and stones from the lake shore today. Gave the lot a rinse bath. The driftwood has such buoyancy that even by tying on small stones doesn't keep them down. I did, however, get a really cool effect with one piece floating sort of mid level attached to stones below.

What to you do? I would really like to have some of this driftwood on the bottom.

Cheers,
Ben

Old 03-14-2005, 07:46 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

It'll take awhile for the driftwood to become saturated and sink (drift...nevermind). You may try taking it out and letting it sit in a tub of water until it does.

I like the floating wood idea...must look real cool.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i used suctions cups tied through drilled holes to hold mine down while i had it , it held pretty good , never had a problem , you have to make sure you get good suction cups though .
4 lemon tetras
9 red eye tetras
10 buenos aires tetras
1 gold tetra
1 head and taillight tetra
1 bronze corycat
1 guppy
2 black moors
2 gold rams
4 male bettas
1 platy

1 hampster
5 guinea pigs
2 lovebirds
3 budgies
2 cats
1 dog
2 pacific tree frogs
1 salamander
aquaxeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

piece of slate and stainless steel screws to attach the driftwood to the slate bury the slate in the substrate-Anne
Old 03-15-2005, 01:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
piece of slate and stainless steel screws to attach the driftwood to the slate bury the slate in the substrate
Ditto, best method!

ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beblondie
piece of slate and stainless steel screws to attach the driftwood to the slate bury the slate in the substrate-Anne
Its important to note that this method only works for smaller/medium pieces of driftwood. For the peice I got (it was really big) for a 55 gallon tank, the slate wasn't enough to hold it down in the substrate, it would just float to the top again. I had to put a corner of the slate under a section of the undergravel filter I have. Only then did it not float. It was a pain in the butt to get to stay, but with the UGF plate and all the substrate on top of it, it finally held. If you are using an under gravel filter, attach a piece of slate like Anne said and then pry your fingers under the UGF and wiggle a peice of the slate under the UGF plate.
HTH
-Stewie
Old 03-15-2005, 07:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks.

I'll look around for some slate. I have to stick with smaller pieces anyway as I'm working on a 10 gallon tank.

Ben
Old 03-15-2005, 07:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
The pieces I've bought always came with slate. I've had some rather large pieces and they've never floated with the slate was buried. I did have a piece where the slate broke out from around the screw. It floated and I let it float. Thought it'd eventually sink. It floated for over a year before I finally took it out. It looked sort of neat floating at the top.

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
mitche8359 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, drift, driftwood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com