How do you anchor driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fambrough

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I spend some quality time today gathering some really interesting looking driftwood and stones from the lake shore today. Gave the lot a rinse bath. The driftwood has such buoyancy that even by tying on small stones doesn't keep them down. I did, however, get a really cool effect with one piece floating sort of mid level attached to stones below.

What to you do? I would really like to have some of this driftwood on the bottom.

Cheers,
Ben

It'll take awhile for the driftwood to become saturated and sink (drift...nevermind). You may try taking it out and letting it sit in a tub of water until it does.

I like the floating wood idea...must look real cool.

i used suctions cups tied through drilled holes to hold mine down while i had it , it held pretty good , never had a problem , you have to make sure you get good suction cups though .

piece of slate and stainless steel screws to attach the driftwood to the slate bury the slate in the substrate-Anne

beblondie said:
piece of slate and stainless steel screws to attach the driftwood to the slate bury the slate in the substrate-Anne

Its important to note that this method only works for smaller/medium pieces of driftwood. For the peice I got (it was really big) for a 55 gallon tank, the slate wasn't enough to hold it down in the substrate, it would just float to the top again. I had to put a corner of the slate under a section of the undergravel filter I have. Only then did it not float. It was a pain in the butt to get to stay, but with the UGF plate and all the substrate on top of it, it finally held. If you are using an under gravel filter, attach a piece of slate like Anne said and then pry your fingers under the UGF and wiggle a peice of the slate under the UGF plate.
HTH
-Stewie

Thanks.

I'll look around for some slate. I have to stick with smaller pieces anyway as I'm working on a 10 gallon tank.

Ben

The pieces I've bought always came with slate. I've had some rather large pieces and they've never floated with the slate was buried. I did have a piece where the slate broke out from around the screw. It floated and I let it float. Thought it'd eventually sink. It floated for over a year before I finally took it out. It looked sort of neat floating at the top.

Back
Top Bottom