Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2002, 10:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How do you check nitrate levels in your tank?

All my fish are sitting on the bottom of the tank and only move when proded. In the past month my telescope moor has died and a rhykin. I have a 25 gallon tank with two remaining fish. I have added salt but the fish do not seem any better.

Is it my nitrate levels? How do I check?

Old 12-18-2002, 11:12 AM   #2

You can get a test kit for nitrate at your LFS.

You might want to take a sample of your water to the store, they may check it for you, some will, some won't. Call them first.

Have you been doing water changes? All varieties of goldfish produce a lot of waste, you gotta clean regularly.

Also, since this seems to be the same behaviour (I like british spelling!) your Moor passed away from, its probably a disease. Personally, I can't diagnose worth a darn, sorry.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:14 AM   #3

What is LFS?
Old 12-18-2002, 12:12 PM   #4

LFS = Local Fish Store.

From the home page here, there is a link for Abbreviations, I suggest you check it out.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but you really do need to do some research on aquarium keeping.

Do you have any aquarium books? You should buy a good basic one at your LFS or bookstore. Reference material is a MUST in this hobby.

Now please, I honestly don't mean to be rude or disrespectful, but you have to do some reading and basic research on your own. We will be glad to help when we can, but it looks like you are missing some fundamental basics that everyone in this hobby needs to know.

No offense intended, and I wish you the best of luck with your fish.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:16 PM   #5

Thanks, for the advice. I am at work so I dodn't have a lot of free time to browse around the forum and a lot of the information I get, even from my LFS's seems to clash.

I will go in and ask for advice though.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have seen this problem in my tank where all the fish would cluster near the bottom. When I did a water change (I think I changed 25 or 30% of the water that time) the fish soon went back to their normal activities. So If you don't have a test kit right now, I think the best course of action is a water change.

I'm not an expert on sick fish, but I don't think a water change will make a sick fishes condition any worse unless the illness is stress related.

Tags
level, nitrate, nitrate level, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com