How do you clean sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smileyface9

Aquarium Advice Freak
So if I were to switch to sand..what're the benifits opposed to gravel and how would i clean that? I have a siphon.

Hey. I recently changed to black sand.
1. It looks amazing
2. It's much easier to clean you just run the syphon 1 cm from the sand and it picks up all the debris
3. Its better for plant growth as it traps o2
4. Many fish like Cory cats love it and it protects their barbules

I'm starting a new 20 g today also with sand

The benefits are more for looks and preference. Unless you have fish that like sand more then gravel. Poeple say corys need sand but I have corys on gravel live and do fine. Im not a big fan of sand, it take more to clean and it dosent hide debris in the bottom of the tank as well as gravel. To clean it just put it in a bucket and run water on it until it runs clear. You also cant vaccum it. Just need to swirle the gravel vac around the bottom to kick up the debris.

I vacuum my sand, it doesn't plug it or anything. I have gravel in one tank and sand in the other. The only difference I've noticed (cleaning related) is in the first initial set up stage. Sand takes a lot more rinsing then the gravel ever did. As for cleaning in the tank I think it depends on the type of sand, how fine the grains are.

Mlani said:
I vacuum my sand, it doesn't plug it or anything. I have gravel in one tank and sand in the other. The only difference I've noticed (cleaning related) is in the first initial set up stage. Sand takes a lot more rinsing then the gravel ever did. As for cleaning in the tank I think it depends on the type of sand, how fine the grains are.

Do you remember what brand of sand you got? That's awesome that it doesn't plug it or get sucked up! That would be perfect for my tank, because I read dojo loaches prefer sand..but i'm scared to switch, because i can't fin much info on how to clean it properly. Is it easier to clean than gravel?

I mixed two kinds I went with the black coarse sand and the fine white. Both bought at big als. I'll check next time I'm there for the brand. I threw the bags out :-( I remember they came from Florida :)
I find the sand easier to clean personally. Most of the crud stays on the top. Maybe that's because my dragon fish is constantly kicking it up? Lol!

Mlani said:
I mixed two kinds I went with the black coarse sand and the fine white. Both bought at big als. I'll check next time I'm there for the brand. I threw the bags out :-( I remember they came from Florida :)
I find the sand easier to clean personally. Most of the crud stays on the top. Maybe that's because my dragon fish is constantly kicking it up? Lol!

Lol, thanks! :) so do you think just any brand with coarse sand and fine sand wouldn't get sucked up through the siphon? Even if you put the siphon all the way into it, not just on top of it?

Mlani said:

I looked at your photos! Your dragon fish is sooo cool!!!! :D

I use fine sand, got it cause it was a move pure white. you have to keep the siphon above the sand or it will suck up. If you want something that will stay down your better off with maybe silica, something thats a big grain? Im not to sure.

JesseMessykinn said:
I use fine sand, got it cause it was a move pure white. you have to keep the siphon above the sand or it will suck up. If you want something that will stay down your better off with maybe silica, something thats a big grain? Im not to sure.

I love my sand, though I have both sand and gravel tanks.

The sand is easier IMO as it doesn't require the thorough cleaning that gravel does. You just hover over it with the siphon to clean it as the poop etc. cannot actually penetrate the sand base like it does gravel.

I love sand tanks. Easy to clean like bare bottom tanks and is pleasing to the eye. In one of my tanks the current from my filter is strong enough to cause all the waste to flow over the top of the sand to the intake. I haven't had to vacuum it in a couple of months now. :)

I bought black sand from Petco (their brand). To me its very fine and when I vacuum the tiny bits of debris on top don't seem to suck up into the syphon well. If you get it to close to the sand it lifts the sand. Yes it is beautiful to look at, but IMO harder to clean.

Imo I would say easier to clean & has more of a natural look to it that fish seem to enjoy
I would say the debris & waste is still somewhat lighter than the sand & would get picked up by the siphon
You can also swirl the siphon just a bit to pick up the debris
& if you accidently suck a bit of sand it won't make much of a difference won't seem like you're missing a big chunk
I always just dump the sand back in if I sucked any up by accident

Imo I would say easier to clean & has more of a natural look to it that fish seem to enjoy
I would say the debris & waste is still somewhat lighter than the sand & would get picked up by the siphon
You can also swirl the siphon just a bit to pick up the debris
& if you accidently suck a bit of sand it won't make much of a difference won't seem like you're missing a big chunk
I always just dump the sand back in if I sucked any up by accident

My problem is that I use an Aqueon so no bucket. I am trying to "swirl the siphon", but of course it does pick up a little sand also. I guess if I eventually suck up to much sand I'll just have to buy more sand. The sand is very small and light. As for the look, it is beautiful and I love it.

smileyface9 said:
I looked at your photos! Your dragon fish is sooo cool!!!! :D

Thank you :) he's quite the character. How's the choice coming? Have you decided sand? Or gravel?

VioletEmber said:
Great video! But how the heck did he get that siphon to start so fast!! What am I doing wrong? Lol...

Haha! I know, right?! I'm getting pretty good at it but dang, not THAT good...lol!

If I am not mistaken, when using sand you can get gas bubbles build up under the sand and can poison your fish. Which is why many people have fish that likes to stir up the sand.

Back
Top Bottom