How do YOU decide when to stop buying fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
What do you rely on, to decide where to stop?

Do you go by AqAdvisor?

Inches per gallon?

Nitrate level?

Something else?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Inches per gallon rule is bunk, I don't use it at all. I do my initial stocking plan with AqAdvisor combined with researching the needs of the fish I have planned. While stocking the tank over several months, I keep a close eye on the nitrate tests as well as the behaviors of the fish in the tank. As long as nitrates look fine and the fish aren't having any territorial issues, I continue stocking according to my initial plan.

That said, It's pretty rare for me to actually follow my initial plan 100 percent. I often will stop early if I can't visualize the niche that a new fish would fit into amongst the current inhabitants because I don't want to risk causing territorial issues. On the cases where I do stick to the initial plan and stock it fully by that, I can't think of any times when I sat back afterwards and felt like I had under-stocked and was missing something.

Inches per gallon rule is bunk, I don't use it at all. I do my initial stocking plan with AqAdvisor combined with researching the needs of the fish I have planned. While stocking the tank over several months, I keep a close eye on the nitrate tests as well as the behaviors of the fish in the tank. As long as nitrates look fine and the fish aren't having any territorial issues, I continue stocking according to my initial plan.

That said, It's pretty rare for me to actually follow my initial plan 100 percent. I often will stop early if I can't visualize the niche that a new fish would fit into amongst the current inhabitants because I don't want to risk causing territorial issues. On the cases where I do stick to the initial plan and stock it fully by that, I can't think of any times when I sat back afterwards and felt like I had under-stocked and was missing something.

+1
Very well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I work out what schools of fish I want and stick with that. I don't mind if I get 10 fish rather than 8 as I just get small community fish.

I'll muck around with inch per gal and aqadviser plus research. I agree inch per gal falls apart very quickly.

The most important rule I use is to consider full grown length.

I have very few fish b/c I do long QTs. But, when I can school my danio, I'll use the aqadvisor and common sense. And, life span. I don't want them all dying at the same time. So, I'll school a few at a time.

If I were adding any other fish types I would check fish compatability using liveaquaria's chart and water parameter compatability with recommended water parameters.

Then, I would text Andy Sager or Old Scales and get their opinion on the fish I wanted.

I was thinking of a Bozeman rainbow. My tank was large enough per liveaquaria , but when I messaged with the pros I was told no. A Boseman needs a 4 ft long aquarium to be happy.

If the fish was ok'd by the pros, then for the amount to buy I would use aqadvisor.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

...When I make a promise to myself that the next purchase(s) will be QT'd. But get lazy and don't buy the heater for the QT tank. Yeah, I got spooked by Ich a few times and care not to repeat the experience.
2 years and counting :( ...

Nasty stuff ich.

Sometimes the lfs stops me as well.

Me: ooeer, that's a nice fish!
Lfs: nope, forget about it.
Me: but I didn't say anything!
Lfs: seriously, does nothing/will eat your other fish. Look, we've got some nice plants over here....

Delapool, can I just say that you seem to have a great Lfs? I'm very jealous- my Lfs is, unfortunately, not the greatest at giving advice. But I digress.

Nasty stuff ich.

Sometimes the lfs stops me as well.

Me: ooeer, that's a nice fish!
Lfs: nope, forget about it.
Me: but I didn't say anything!
Lfs: seriously, does nothing/will eat your other fish. Look, we've got some nice plants over here....

Lol.

How do nitrates indicate you're at the tanks limit? If they go from zero to what in a week?

$$ decides when I stop buying fish. =p

Seriously, though my LFS is half hour drive away I. The opposite direction from work. So my visits to the LFS is few. Helps save on my aquarium budget. My 75 gallon is pretty light on stock right now.

If they increase more than you remove with water changes.

So that's how people get away with "over stocking"? Lots of water changes? Along with avoiding issues of territory and aggression and room to swim?

Lol.

How do nitrates indicate you're at the tanks limit? If they go from zero to what in a week?

I don't really use nitrates for stocking. I guess on a full tank if you had nitrates in the tap water or something it would come in.

I've never found a way to stop buying fish...

Ooooo THAT tang is only $40??!?! I'll take it!

Back
Top Bottom