how do you do PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lets all keep this post on topic. Personal insults are not welcome. If they are continued the topic will be locked.

I personally use the the Python. The Lees brand is just a cheaper version of the Python. We have the 100' Python and the 25' Lees. They both work the same and area of equal value. It's the same as buying a tank top from Wal-Mart vs Macys. The price is twice the amount for the same product. You're just buying the brand name.

I've always wanted a python, byut afraid I will not notice if I pick up a shrimp or baby fish. I still use buckets for all my tanks. Yeah, it takes longer. But I can watch as I dump and be sure only what is suppost to go out, goes out. I often suck up rocks, that wouldn't be good going down the garbage disposal.
I always add my conditioner to the bucket before adding to the tank. And yes, it helps keep my muscles active :)

I use a python most of the time now, but for the 29 I still use a bucket at times. For removing water, I bought a 5 Gallon "bucket on wheels". I just fill it up, roll it to the front door, and dump it on the lawn. Easy. I've got a 3 gallon for adding water, which I also use for acclimation and other miscellaneous duties.

i use the bucket method but i only have an 18G tank. for those of you who hose the water from the tap, how does the temp difference affect the fish?

I _always_ match the water temperature from the tap. Of course, right now it's pretty easy - full cold is only 76 degrees, just a hair to the hot side brings it to 78.

In the states the hot and cold water come out of the same faucet. I think in the UK they each have a seperate faucet. Correct?

As fishfanatic said, hot and cold mix in the faucet. What I do is hold the Python's tube over the sink, tune the temperature using a digital thermometer, then when it is right I shut off the Python, move to the tank, and let 'er rip.

Fishyfanatic said:
I think in the UK they each have a seperate faucet. Correct?
correct, mostly. we do have mixer taps though, which i have in my bathroom, but not in my kitchen which is the nearest sink to my tank. i don't mean that to sound patronising btw.

i ask because i don't own a python and i don't think they are available in the UK so i'm trying to think of easier and quicker ways to do a pwc.

what i'm thinking about is syphoning the water from the tank using a long piece of hose to the garden, then attaching another piece of hose from the tap to the tank.
from reading this post, i'd dechlor the whole tank, rather than try to calculate the volume removed.

Not patronizing at all. It was an honest question. :) Someone asked the same question a few months ago and they were also from the UK but did not have a single faucet, only the dual. That's why it stuck in my mind why you would ask it.

You may be able to buy a knock off of the Python. I believe the member that I spoke about above was going to purchase one.

If they sell waterbeds in the UK, then you can get the faucet adapter easily - it's the same thing as a waterbed "fill kit". How you handle the rest of the hose and siphon tube is up to your ingenuity.

Update Guys

just bought my python an hour ago, and have it running as we speak, i probaby shouldnt have but my bacterial bloom has gotten outta control and my water is almost pure white, so i just emptied about 40 gal of my 55 gal tank

thanks for the info on python

and whoever said to bring in the online price, thanks, i brought it in $39 +shipping cost (just because the store can) + tax i only payed $50 instead of $65 thanks

Sorry to hear they charged you the shipping - the PetSmart's around here don't. I just picked up an AquaClear 50 HOB for $19.99 after the price match, store price was $36.

Back
Top Bottom