How do you do water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pufferpunk -
yes, I am very lucky. I got the idea from an article in AFM or TFH. There was a guy who had a tank on the main floor, and sent pipes into the basement. He needed bigger pumps because of the higher head height, but otherwise the same idea.

Yes, for your next house, shop for the fish potential. Good schools for the kids are a bonus. :eek:

I use a python for my big tank and the old fashion bucket method/vacumn for the small tanks. The python is way too strong for a small tank. Plus I like to have buckets of nice fish pooh water for my houseplants. My house looks like a tropical rain forest and people always ask how I get my house plants to grow so nice and healthy. Fish Pooh!!! I don't think money could buy a better fertilizer.

"Waste not...want not" I heard this a long time ago but I didn't realize how true it is. My wife uses our (ahem) "used" water to water her plants as well.

"Mary, mary...quite contrary, how does your garden grow...".

GM,
yes, i really enjoy it. If you find yourself moving in the future, keep your eye out for properties that would allow a holding tank and drain to be connected to the tank by some route. Once you do this, you will never go back.

I use the gravel vac tube they sell in any petshop and a bucket. My tank is not very big so it is quite quick to do. And the sink is not far... I like this simple way of doing things as I think I have better control of the flow (by putting my thumb over one end of the tube).

talloulou: I thought of using the waste water for my plants, but I find that the water smells (especially if I do a gravel vac... which I do every pwc)... Doesn't the water make your plants smell like a fish tank?

Wow, thanks for all the help. This really makes me happy that I found this page.

TomK2 said:
GM,
yes, i really enjoy it. If you find yourself moving in the future, keep your eye out for properties that would allow a holding tank and drain to be connected to the tank by some route. Once you do this, you will never go back.

I have access to the drain to the washing machine just on the other side of the wall. :D Ive considered a drip water change system but didnt really think about a holding tank one.. my food pantry closet is too full of food right now to sqeeze a holding tank into right now, it seems the best place to hide one off the top of my head, but this has posibilities.. It has me thinking at least :p

Back
Top Bottom