How do you do your water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThaBone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Many people, like me, are new into fish hobby and don't know the Do's and Don'ts of the hobby.

One of the things I've been thinking a lot is the best way to perform water changes. Some people do it one way, some do it the other way. I'll like to read how you guys perform this so important part of the care of our "sons".

For example I fill a 20 gallons plastic trash can with water, just one or two days before changing the water. This trash can is right beside the fish tank so it "grabs" the room temperature and in the mean time releases the chlorine it has. Then, the day I'm going to do the water change I took about 1/3 or 2/3 of water from the fish tank and fill back the tank with the water I was holding on the trash can. Then I add the chemicals.

I know this is not a very good way to do it but no one told me how to do it from the beginning.

Man, I am glad I have well water.........I just hook up my python and suck out 50% and then fill it back up. No chemicals no worries.

With the explosion of water treatment products, you no longer have to age your water to remove chlorine or chloramines. The cost vs convenience is extraordinary.

That being said, your next step is to get yourself a python and your water change schedule will be reduced from the two days to 5 minutes. :)

I think this is a misunderstood. I'm not talking about reducing time changing water. I'm talking about water parameters, temperature, treatments etc. All the things that need to be done in order to not affect the fish each time you change water. Even a monkey know how to take out water from a bucket.

Just adjust the temperature of the water as you fill the bucket with hot and cold water. Close is good enough. Add your dechlor and dump the water in.

what do you need with the python to hook it up to the bathroom sink I see all kinds of adaptors and valves what do i need to just hook it up to the sink vacuum out the water and fill the tank back up while adding the water treatment

Python all the way. I suck out my 30-50%, adjust the water temperature to the temperature of my tank, reverse the value, pour in some prime, and watch 'er fill. Couldn't be easier, and my fish really seem to love PWC time.

No need to "age" water. What chemicals are you adding?

I empty the old water via a Python. Then refill (via Python) while adding Prime.

Anyone know where in Australia you can buy the Python's?
I have a 120G and really need one.

I don't bother aging my water, just use Prime.

esra, i've never seen them for sale at shops - your best bet would be to get one online and shipped over. personally, though, i just bought a garden hose and pull it over the tap to refill my tank - just as good as a python, and cost me about $5. to get water out, i use a 50L storage tub and a normal gravel vac - i've heard that the pythons have problems with suction strength, and i don't like the amount of water they waste in operation.

turkey said:
what do you need with the python to hook it up to the bathroom sink I see all kinds of adaptors and valves what do i need to just hook it up to the sink vacuum out the water and fill the tank back up while adding the water treatment

First the pump has two setting, fill and empty. The empty is done by using water pressure, it requires physics to explain and I would probably need to use works like Bernoulli. Let’s just say it's done very easily with the twist of the wrist.

A lot of people don't understand the sink hook up process. You need either a faucet with a removable aerator, usually found in the kitchen, or a sink with a treaded faucet like for a garden hose, usually found in your basement. There are different aerators, thus the necessity for an adaptor.

These are Faucet Aerators: http://amconservationgroup.com/catalog.aspx?catid=16

Some faucets have them permanently attached, like most bathroom faucets. My bathroom faucet has a permanent aerator. Pythons are not designed for bathroom sinks. There is to much water volume and the pump is to long in most cases**.

**Legal Note - Not every bathroom is the same and some people may be using the python in their bathrooms but most people aren’t.

P.S. Pythons rule but may cause side effects like:

-Wanting a larger aquarium (10 gallon itch)
-Wanting more aquariums (MTS)
-Keeping more fish and doing more water changes to keep your fish healthy (increased water bill-itis)

Back
Top Bottom