Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

how do you get rid of planaria?

I have a 1gal tank dedicated to raising snails (turtle snacks) and recently noticed tiny white worms. After a bit of panicking and researching, discovered that they are most likely planaria. Figure there's a good chance that over-feeding is to blame as I usually put a bit of algae wafer or chunk of cucumber in there for them once or twice a week. But, since it is a snail tank, can't go with the usual feeding guidelines like with fish (at least my snails don't come up to get fed). Any recommendations on how I can get rid of the little planaria and hopefully keep them from coming back?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

fish will eat them... any chance you could stick a couple fish in the tank for a few days? in a snail tank like that, since you basically have to overfeed, i dont think you'll have much of a way to prevent it

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks. Kinda what I figured in terms of feeding. They seem to clear up a bit when I put veggies in there but not fully gone. Don't have any fish that I dislike enough to put in there, but could be a good time to get a few more guppies. Some sites say that aquarium salt can help get rid of the plenaria, any thoughts?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

i've never had them, but i have always heard they come in from flake food... not sure if thats true or not.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Since they get worse when I put algae wafers in there, I'd believe it. Probably stick with cucumber or zucchini from now on and invest in a few guppies. May try salt if the guppies don't help. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2010, 01:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My thoughts are, since they are not parasitic, then just leave them alone unless they are causing an issue.

Tags
planaria

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com