How do you get rid of snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DjPotter79

Aquarium Advice Regular
Please help.... I went out and got assassin snails and spixi snails and there's more and more everyday. I've giving them away to friends I just did a water change and sucked some up and felt bad but they have to go there is just to many of them and I've even grabbed them by hand . Any info would be great... Thanks John

Khulis dont eat snails. Try copper i guess

Brox said:
Khulis dont eat snails. Try copper i guess

No offense, but along the lines of what HUKIT said, there is no need for chemical remedies. The chemicals are treating a symptom, not the problem.

Snail frenzies are mainly caused by over feeding. Something that will curb their growth is either feed less or suction up food that stays on the bottom.

As HUKIT said, using simple traps or even just putting a piece of zucchini in there can be easy remedies without the need for chemicals or adding fish.

Too Many Snails

Please help.... I went out and got assassin snails and spixi snails and there's more and more everyday. I've giving them away to friends I just did a water change and sucked some up and felt bad but they have to go there is just to many of them and I've even grabbed them by hand . Any info would be great... Thanks John

Hello John...

If you have too many snails, then you're providing too much food. Unless you have fry in the tank you don't need to feed your fish very much. Aquarium fish can easily go a couple of weeks without food. In the wild, fish are lucky to eat once a week. So, if nature doesn't feed very much, then we should follow that example.

I feed my Livebearers, including the fry, a couple of times a week and just what they'll eat in a minute or two. A tropical fish stomach is about the size of one of it's eyes, so it doesn't take much to fill it.

Next time you feed, see how much food makes it to the bottom of the tank. It should be minimal and the bottom feeders will forage for that. Control the amount you feed and I'll bet the snail population is under control within a month or two.

Just a thought.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello John...

If you have too many snails, then you're providing too much food. Unless you have fry in the tank you don't need to feed your fish very much. Aquarium fish can easily go a couple of weeks without food. In the wild, fish are lucky to eat once a week. So, if nature doesn't feed very much, then we should follow that example.

I feed my Livebearers, including the fry, a couple of times a week and just what they'll eat in a minute or two. A tropical fish stomach is about the size of one of it's eyes, so it doesn't take much to fill it.

Next time you feed, see how much food makes it to the bottom of the tank. It should be minimal and the bottom feeders will forage for that. Control the amount you feed and I'll bet the snail population is under control within a month or two.

Just a thought.

B

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure that's what I've been doing. I will keep an eye on things for now on. Thanks again big help

Sorry to say but since I had my first snail, I've never gotten rid of them. I have 2 sera traps, yoyo Loaches and snails and they are in to stay. The eggs are small so they can be breeding in the filter and u won't even know. Having snails is something u have to deal with. All u can do is control the quantity getting out of control.

Sorry, this is unrelated and I'm new to this, but how do I start a thread using the app?

Go to main section which u want thread started and press ur menu button. Should get start new thread there.

I have an eastern American newt in my 20 and he eats snails like crazy. He's very cool and harmless to fish. I can't say if they all eat snails though. I noticed that he can't eat the bigger ones, only the babies.. but, I decided to introduce the snails into my quarantine tank just to make sure he has a supply. I'm certain that if I removed the few snails left in the 20 they'd be all gone. Went from loads of the suckers to about four to six that are just big enough to not fit into his mouth. Any and every snail that hatches gets eaten up.

Have you tried Yoyo/khuli/clown loaches

Have you had good luck with the clown loaches?:confused:
Last time I had one, it didn't bother my multitudinous snails, but instead picked a fight with my Betta and shredded its fins to tatters.:(
I thought it was an evil little beast.:nono:

Have you had good luck with the clown loaches?:confused:
Last time I had one, it didn't bother my multitudinous snails, but instead picked a fight with my Betta and shredded its fins to tatters.:(
I thought it was an evil little beast.:nono:

They can be aggressive, especially if you do not have them in a group. I have 4 with a weather loach as my anti-snail team and they do a great job. They are always digging in the sand and eating those suckers, plus they are fun to watch. I had a real bad snail problem but it has been months since I saw a snail in my tank. I have tried putting vegetables to see if any come out but they never show up.

They can be aggressive, especially if you do not have them in a group. I have 4 with a weather loach as my anti-snail team and they do a great job. They are always digging in the sand and eating those suckers, plus they are fun to watch. I had a real bad snail problem but it has been months since I saw a snail in my tank. I have tried putting vegetables to see if any come out but they never show up.

Thanks for your advice.
I did only have one clown loach, so perhaps that, indeed, was the problem.:blink:

Back
Top Bottom