How do you get rid of snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xzap

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought some plants a month ago that evidently had snails in 'em. These dang things multiply quicker than rabbits !

Is there anything that will kill them ?
Dave

Copper is impossible to completely remove from your tank once it is put in there and it will kill all inverts. if there is any in there.. if you ever intend on having shrimp, nertle snails, or other benificial inverts. avoid copper.. HTH

clown loaches huh ? I'm cycling a new tank now and I'm gonna move some fish from the "snail tank" to the new tank when it's ready. I could put some clowns in there then, don't they like to be in 2's or 3's ?

Thx,

Dave

You should definitely add at least three loaches for them to be happy. In addition to clown loaches, you could also consider dwarf loaches, zebra loaches and yo-yo loaches. These species are somewhat smaller than your clown loaches but also may not be as readily available. Because of their scarcity, I've seen dwarf loaches on sale at my LFS for as much as $17.95 each.

my yo-yo loaches never touched snails, but the clown will definitely go after them, if they are large enough. are they ramshorn or MTS? MTS can be a bit hard for loaches to snack on, but ramshorns are a snap.
remove the largest ones since they are the breeders, and hopefully the fish will take care of the rest. 3 clowns should be good for that size tank.

you can also put some large lettuce leaves in the tank overnight, and remove them in the morning, as they should be covered in snails.

Not to take over your thread, but on a related note, I plan to be getting plants for my new tank soon... How would I go about making sure that I don't get snails to begin with? Is there a procedure to follow to rid plants of snails before putting them in your tank?

I always rinse my plants thoroughly before I plant them, but sooner or later one will slip by and then it's snail hell !

dave

Xzap, this may sound insane, but I am actually looking for some mts. I need some to stir up the substrate. How far are you from Virginia?

Back
Top Bottom