how do you get your driftwood to sink?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a piece, that after 2 years, still has a scuba diving ankle weight on it. I stuffed some java fern around it, so I guess it's staying. Every time I think it's sunk, I'll take off the weight & it pops up. I used to have 2 ankle weights on it, so maybe I'm getting somewhere.

Genereally the driftwood will waterlog if not you have to weight it. Keep in mind drift wood should be put in a series of boiling and soaking to remove tanins.

im getting the water really hot in my mudroom sink then filling it up i cant really get that much boiled water

You have to make sure it is a wood that is denser than water. If the wood is less dense then water no matter how "waterlogged" it is it will still float as is dependant on the overall weight and volume (density).

Given a dense wood boiling it should be the quickest way to sink it. I found some decent wood at a nearby stream/beach interface and about 5 minutes into boiling it sank.

I've found that 2 types of driftwood sink cordially when you put them in your tank: Malaysian and Swahala (African) driftwood. Tankgirl and I have the Swahala, and I and a lot of other members have the Malaysian, too.

However, there are few guarantees, as these old pieces of wood have often drifted around for quite a while at the water's surface: they are called "driftwood" for a reason, after all...

If the piece doesn't sink with time (I had to wait 3 months before one of my pieces finally gave in and sank), you can always attempt to anchor it with a piece of slate or with other sorts of weights. The slate can be siliconed (be careful to get aquarium-safe silicon) to the bottom of the driftwood, and then can be buried in the substrate so that the slate and silicon do not show. This is the most popular method, and you'll see many pieces on Ebay that have already been weighted with slate.

I have a giant stump in my 29gal that, after to months, still floats at the top of the tank.

I hate it, but my crabs love it.. and the animals in the tank have say about stuff like that over the anima; [ me ] outside the tank.

Back
Top Bottom