How do you guys get rid of algea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just started a 5gal tank and I know that it will get algea. What is the best way to battle it? I know I can get those magnet things for the sides of the tank but what should I do about the algea that will grown in the plants and decorations? I want to keep it looking pretty without having to take everything out to wash it all the time.

Don't leave your lights on too long and don't overfeed the tank. You won't get excess algae.

You will experience diatoms, kind of a brownish algae, that covers everything in the tank for a while. Leave it be. It will eventually go away on its own. It's a natural part of starting up a tank.

My algae control is otos in my 16, plecos in my 75 and mystery snails in my 46.

You could try a small snail depending on what else you're keeping in the tank.

LyndaB said:
Don't leave your lights on too long and don't overfeed the tank. You won't get excess algae.

You will experience diatoms, kind of a brownish algae, that covers everything in the tank for a while. Leave it be. It will eventually go away on its own. It's a natural part of starting up a tank.

My algae control is otos in my 16, plecos in my 75 and mystery snails in my 46.

You could try a small snail depending on what else you're keeping in the tank.

Thank you.

Snails are cool, but my tank is a fluval chi and has no lid. Would the snails crawl out?

If I got an oto, should I wait for green algae to start showing up? I need to read about that brown algea...

Your tank is too small for otos, which need to be in groups.

Yes, snails would crawl out. I swear, I love the look of these tanks but they're not very practical.

LyndaB said:
Your tank is too small for otos, which need to be in groups.

Yes, snails would crawl out. I swear, I love the look of these tanks but they're not very practical.

I think it looks awesome, but I'm glad it was given to me and that I didn't spend actual money on it!

Controlling Algae

Just started a 5gal tank and I know that it will get algea. What is the best way to battle it? I know I can get those magnet things for the sides of the tank but what should I do about the algea that will grown in the plants and decorations? I want to keep it looking pretty without having to take everything out to wash it all the time.

Hello Bear...

A small tank is a challenge for even the experienced water keeper. I've never had a tank that small, but I can tell you how I got rid of at least the visible algae in my large, planted tanks.

When you feed your fish and plants, some nutrients go unused and so phosphates and nitrates build in the tank water.

These nutrients are food for primitive plants like algae. To control algae, you simply need to remove the food source or use snails that eat it. Large, weekly water changes will do the job. I change out 60 to 70 percent of the tank water weekly. Planting or floating stem plants that get the bulk of their nutrition from the water will work too. Planting or floating Water wisteria, Water sprite or Pennywort will complete with the algae for food.

I've used Ramshorn snails in my planted tanks for a long time and they multiply very quickly. They'll eat all kinds of algae and any dead plant and animal material and keep the tank very clean. Another plus is, I don't believe these snails will bother healthy plants. At least, they've never bothered mine.

I've never done anything else to control algae.

Just some ideas to consider or not.

B

Is there a floating plant that will stay pretty small and do well with natural indirect sunlight light from a window?

Floating Plants

Is there a floating plant that will stay pretty small and do well with natural indirect sunlight light from a window?

Hello again Bear...

I don't know of any plants that don't require decent lighting. You might just want to go with the snails. They'll definitely take care of an algae problem.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello again Bear...

I don't know of any plants that don't require decent lighting. You might just want to go with the snails. They'll definitely take care of an algae problem.

B

Well the problem is that the top has no cover and it was designed that way. (fluval chi). Snails will climb out, shrimp jump out, oto's need to be in groups, pleco's get to big...

I guess that I need to plan on buying a plant to put inside the tank. It has a light inside. Will a plant grow in gravel or do I need sand? I like my gravel. Also, I just got my gourami happy. Will adding a plant upset the balance of the tank and make him sad again?

Well the problem is that the top has no cover and it was designed that way. (fluval chi). Snails will climb out, shrimp jump out, oto's need to be in groups, pleco's get to big...

I guess that I need to plan on buying a plant to put inside the tank. It has a light inside. Will a plant grow in gravel or do I need sand? I like my gravel. Also, I just got my gourami happy. Will adding a plant upset the balance of the tank and make him sad again?

Bear...

Most of the ferns like Java fern work well in lower light. Mosses like Singpore moss are also low light plants. I have some Anubias coffeefolia in my tanks and it does well. The Anubias and Java fern need to be attached to something porous like driftwood or lava rock to grow. You can use something like sewing thread to attach the plants. Then, just perch the wood or rock on top of the gravel in your tank.

Plants will only help the water chemistry. Your fish will feel more comfortable in a planted tank.

B

BBradbury said:
Bear...

Most of the ferns like Java fern work well in lower light. Mosses like Singpore moss are also low light plants. I have some Anubias coffeefolia in my tanks and it does well. The Anubias and Java fern need to be attached to something porous like driftwood or lava rock to grow. You can use something like sewing thread to attach the plants. Then, just perch the wood or rock on top of the gravel in your tank.

Plants will only help the water chemistry. Your fish will feel more comfortable in a planted tank.

B

Thank you!! I will research then and figure out which will work best I'm my tank. I'm starting to like the idea of having a live plant...

Back
Top Bottom