How do you keep tank water crystal clear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Seriously, my tank goes through mood swings or something?, it's clearer some day then the others. I have a 36 g gallon tank moderately planted, no co2, lquid ferts with

1 sunsun 75g cainster filter
I run charcoal in the filter, and it's fully cycled

50% weekly water changes, fully planted, and fluval 306 canister. I've found that 50% water changes are the way to go in terms of pwc. It's probably the best way to keep clear water.

I do lots of WC's. 50% min daily100% Saturday or Sunday or any other day I get extra time. And Fluval 205 and 406 all bio rings no charcoal.

Mine just stay crystal clear. Heavily planted low tech small tanks. Mostly sand. One is gravel.

I do weekly PWCs. Usually 25% unless there is a reason to do more.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might sound strange but I've heard that changing your water too much can make the water cloudier. Maybe just stick to weekly 50% wc's and see if it gets clearer.

It might sound strange but I've heard that changing your water too much can make the water cloudier. Maybe just stick to weekly 50% wc's and see if it gets clearer.

Oops! Thought treemanone's response was from the op! I guess I don't know what could be causing it...mine also stays clear naturally :/

No I haven't tried any filter floss. Though I have been rolling around the idea of a second cainster filter,mabye that would help. Also I swear my tank goes threw moods swings one day the water looks perfect then it's simi cloudy the next. I have no idea why

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397731396.278042.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397731396.278042.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 125
My tank tends to be touchy in terms of micro cycles and small ammonia spikes. I swear there will be times where I go to bed with clear water and wake up to cloudy green. Sure enough it experienced an ammonia spike somehow. I use Ammo-Lock and Stress Zyme. It seems to keep the bio-system stabilized and the water crystal clear. I also rinse my filters off in the tank water so as to not lose the environment.

No I haven't tried any filter floss. Though I have been rolling around the idea of a second cainster filter,mabye that would help. Also I swear my tank goes threw moods swings one day the water looks perfect then it's simi cloudy the next. I have no idea why

Same here... Would love to find out why ??

Seems like it might actually be bacterial bloom. Perhaps your bio-filtration isn't able to keep up.

See I was thinking that but aqua advisor says I do and I have it's if porous rock in the tank and I know out holds bb, so I have no idea.

So I think I'm going to try adding a second( and better) cainster filter with filter floss and see if it helps. Any suggestion under a 100$ for a 36g tank will be well taken

See I was thinking that but aqua advisor says I do and I have it's if porous rock in the tank and I know out holds bb, so I have no idea.

So I think I'm going to try adding a second( and better) cainster filter with filter floss and see if it helps. Any suggestion under a 100$ for a 36g tank will be well taken

I think your best bet for that approach is Craigslist. Some treasures do come around. Just need to be patient. Also, you could save a couple extra bucks in the waiting time. I've got a Fluval 205 on my 40g (no carbon) and it ROCKS !!! Don't remember the actual cost of them new but I got it for free. If you do go used, cycle it for 24 hrs in a 10g with 10% bleach and then 2-4 hrs cycles of fresh water each time.

Edit : The only reason I do so many frequent WC's is because I power feed for growth. And they're Discus.

Some tips.
Green water is Algae.

Reduce lighting to six hours a day. Buy a timer if you don't have one. Reduce wattage if needed.

Reduce fish food. Overfeeding can cause Algae.

Test water ! Overstocking or overfeeding can cause an algae bloom.

If needed you can wrap the tank and do a 3 day blackout. No lights at all. Then uncover and do a large water change. Up to 75%.

Is this a planted tank ?

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do lots of WC's. 50% min daily100% Saturday or Sunday or any other day I get extra time. And Fluval 205 and 406 all bio rings no charcoal.

That's way to much

I don't feel it's safe to do more than 35% in one go to much can change between your tap water and tank water ie gh kh ph temp

You must have real bad water in your tank if you need to do so much

Filter floss is good to polish the water as long as you change it every 3 weeks

Many thing can play a part like food getting stuck under drift wood or rocks

Back
Top Bottom