How do you measure your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeybsmooth

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know this is a really silly question .. but really what is the best way to do this . When I try to add fish from the store they end up being way to small. It is not like they will stay still for me but a ruler on the glass , and I know I should just not pick them up to do it .

Well, if you approximate, it can be wrong, since it's a matter of perspective. The bigger the tank, the smaller the fish will look like. The further you are from the tank, the smaller the fish will look like.
What I do is I go beside the glass and when my fish comes close i measure with my fingers, and check on a ruler. It's almost accurate. If not, take it out of the water.

Last edited:
Sure if can be wrong, but its not like its going to be metres out. I have a good idea what an inch looks like close to or far away from an aquarium.

Research the fish you want & see what their ADULT size & needs are. Remember the bulk of fish are sold as fishlets (is that a word,lol) which means not fully grown. My Chinese Algaea Eaters were approx. 1.5" long when I purchased them, they're now 4-5".

How big is your tank? Are you keep tropical fish along with Goldfish?

45 gals. And this one just has Goldfish in it it . I had a big fellow just take them one by one .. After the first one was taken I was thinking about putting them in my other tank with my turtles.. but I assumed that would not have a much better out come .

45 gals. And this one just has Goldfish in it it . I had a big fellow just take them one by one .. After the first one was taken I was thinking about putting them in my other tank with my turtles.. but I assumed that would not have a much better out come .
Good thinking. Sometimes turtles and fish works, but i heard some turtles can kill you're fish easily so hehe:3

Confused. So how many Goldfish do you have in the 45g ? How big ? Fancies or Comets ?

A 45g is good for 2-3 Fancies, but not large enough for a Common or Comet. They need ponds.

Goldfish are poop machines as are Turtles. I don't like fish living w my Turtles as the water pollutes even faster. Plus the Turtles always end up killing the fish.

I use my finger. The distance between my first and second knuckle on my index finger is 1 1/4", so I just kinda crook my finger and hold it up to the tank so I can compare as they swim by. I suppose I fall into the guess-timating catagory.

Back
Top Bottom