How do you pick your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garganoth

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm getting more and more into fish (actually building a fish room) but how does everyone pick there stock? It seems like every time I turn around there are 30 new fish that are amazing...i find myself buying and buying hence the fish room but I still feel like I'm missing so much. So hiw do you guys do it?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We buy more tanks. :)

Also, lots of research and careful planning helps narrow things down. But it is pretty hard, particularly when you see new fish appear locally.

It is difficult! I use the size of my tank, and find something awesome, and make sure it fits (Like rams! :) ), then I see how much space I have, and fill it with other, maybe not as cool things, to make it overall look nice.

We pick our favorite fish and from those pick the best that will go together :)

It also helps to rotate the stocking of your tanks periodically.

Research while I'm at the LFS. That's the first thing I do. If I see something I like, I pull out my phone and get busy with google. If everything looks like I can give the fish the right care, then I do a mental tally of my tanks and their stock to see where I could home the potential newcomer.

I'm a sucker for oddball fish so I have to research them first.

Research first !!!! You can never know enough. Are they good or bad to put with existing fish and is there enough room in the tank for the bioload ? Budget next. Is it affordable or will it push beyond the limits ? Probably the next most important to me is do I have a QT setup for it ? I won't introduce ANYTHING into an existing tank without a minimum of 6 week QT. It's the easiest and most effective way to keep your DT safe from unwanted problems.

I have a big poster on my wall with pictures of most all tropical fish species, I just throw darts and off to the lfs with lots of cash:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thought you may like that... I too research a Lil bit prior to buying.. I have been guilty of standing in front of a tank for 20 minutes blowing up Google and AA Haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I love it when I get to the fish store and they have really pretty fish I hadn't expected them to have or never heard of before. Now my well researched and thought out list is blown all to heck! LOL. BUT, there's nothing more fun than a well stocked fish store and a tank at home with room for some more fish! OS.

Wow you guys are great...The more research I do the more fish i want. Well I guess the fish room is the way to go. Though where do I buy these posters?!?!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom