How do you pronounce Cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nervousdog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just like the title says.

Is it SITCH-lid or KITCH-lid or SICK-lid or ... :?:

I don't want to look like a total newb in the LFS.

Thanks,

Rob

Hehe. I get ppl asking me that all the time nowadays. It took me about a few months to get up the courage to ask how it was pronounced when I first saw the word a couple of years ago. :wink:

mikemou....

My 26 gallon has a single 15 watt bulb on it....which puts me at about 0.58 watts per gallon. The plants in the tank include: Aponogeton natans, Anubias barteri var. 'nana', Cryptocoryne aponogetifolia, Cryptocoryne ciliata, Cryptocoryne crispatula var. 'balansae', Cryptocoryne parva, Cryptocoryne wendtii var. 'red', and Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus). None of them are growing like crazy but all of them grow well and most of the Cryptocoryne species are putting out runners.

That wasn't a problem for me.

Myself: (points at show tank) "What are those?"
Shopkeeper: "African cichlids."
Me: "You will sell me exactly what I need to keep those fish and you will tell me how to keep them. Now."

And that's how I got into the hobby, and that shopkeeper took me to the cleaners by the way :roll: .

hmmm so ive been making a total a... of myself by asking about different sorts of chill - lids at all the lfs around us then??!!!! :mrgreen:

Menagerie said:
:lol:
Which sick lids are you going to get?

I like the Electric Blue (Sciaenochromis ahli) and Electric Yellow (Labidochromis caeruleus) Malawians. I also like the Demasoni cichlids(Pseudotropheus demasoni), but I won't be getting any soon. I'm going to start off with some Barbs or Tetras and get used to feeding them and taking care of an aquarium again. I'm kind of a novice, my last aquarium was nearly 20 years ago. (Wow 8O has it been that long?) Also, my wife and I are planning to move within a few years so I may just wait until after that.

I like the Electric Blue (Sciaenochromis ahli) and Electric Yellow (Labidochromis caeruleus) Malawians.
Just something from experience here, the ahli isn't an Mbuna. He has very different dietary needs and is also an open water fish. I have one in my tank, but only because I didn't do enough research before I bought him (the lfs said it would be fine). There is also a definite behavior difference between him and my other fish. I also have to keep a large portion of my tank terrain-less to accommodate his needs. Eventually he'll go into his own tank with others of his kind...

They also have different water preferences than the barbs and tetras you mentioned. And they are much more aggressive as well...

Well then, there's plenty of time to research the needs of your fish.
My fiance and I don't play the waiting game very well. We set up our 80 gal knowing we were moving from Idaho to Calgary within 5 months. Now that we're up here, we went from 2 to 6 tanks and we know we will have to move in 6 months to a year. We love our fish :roll:

I like Kenyi's They are more lenient to water conditions I've found. Also it is really easy to tell the males from the females, which is a bllessing when it comes to mbunas.

Back
Top Bottom