How do you rea your test results?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, I often see comments where people say they have difficulty comparing the test colours to the results page.

What I always do if it isn't an obvious colour is pour a small amount on a piece of white paper, that way you can see the colour clearly and you can easily compare it to the results page.

So how do you guys read your tests? And tips or tricks to share?

-Scouse

I take the vials outside in the sunlight, whereby they are much clearer in that light. I know my Nitrate vial always looks RED inside the house, but when I take it outside in the sunlight it is in the ORANGE zone. I will try your paper tip next time I test.

I hold the test tube against the card with the strong light on my bathroom shining over my shoulder onto it.

Hholly said:
I hold the test tube against the card with the strong light on my bathroom shining over my shoulder onto it.

My light at home are more of a yellow light.

Wouldn't the K rating of the lights effect results? That's got me wondering lol.

Scouser said:
My light at home are more of a yellow light.

Wouldn't the K rating of the lights effect results? That's got me wondering lol.

It seems like it would affect how the card looks as well as the test water equally.

Hholly said:
It seems like it would affect how the card looks as well as the test water equally.

Not really, because the colour is printed using pigments that may react with the light differently to the chemicals used to colour the solutions.

Back
Top Bottom