How do you read your liquid test kit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do you read your liquid test kit? Do you put the tube up against the white card or hold it just a little in front of it? I have been holding mine a little in front because when up against the card, it's dark on one side and brighter on the other side. And now that I've been getting algae in my planted tank and can't seem to get rid of it, I'm wondering if holding it away from the card is giving me lower readings than what they are, thus causing me to dose more than what I should. After looking at my nitrate test, having it away from the card just a bit, it reads around 20ppm, but against the card, the brighter half is more like the 50ppm or more. Any thoughts on this?

Telling the difference between 20 & 80 on the No3 kit is kinda sketchy. If it reads 20+ I don't dose, and if it reads anything less than 20 I add 10. Seems kinda reckless, but all my algae growth has stopped dead. I also keep Po4 at a safe 2ppm.

As for reading the tests, I hold it against the card in well lit room. I usually go out into my front room where there are several windows to let in plenty of sunlight. My office, even with the lights on, is still quite a cave and gives me different readings.

That's one of the things I don't like about those test tubes. Looking at edge, the edge of the test tube is always lighter because the glass refracts light around the it. I usually stick my test tube right over the chart and see if i can tell a shade difference looking directly through the tube. No idea how to do it accurately more than that. Sometimes just having your wife or significant other looking at it makes all the difference.

It takes longer to read the result than do the test itself :)

I just add 10ppm and 1ppm 3 times a week. I test once a week just to be sure I am not comletely over the top. My algae is on the run and the plants are growing and looking well.

The instructions do say to hold the tube against the card. So that is what I do.

I hold up to the white card, in my kitchen which has daylight fluorescents. in the living room, we have screw in PC's adn the yellow light does affect colors of certain test kits.

a nice sunny window would work best.

I read my test cards with difficulty. LOL seriously, with a window behind the card and the test tube up against the card. I find my household lights really play with the colors too much to be accurate.

Yeah I tend to do the same. Put it up in the sunlight held against the card, but even then I don't trust myself so I take a consensus of everyone in my house at the time in hopes that someone can tell better than me :?

I'm going to start putting it against the card myself, and I normally step out the front door to do it. But at night, my lights aren't the greatest. Maybe I'll try my halogen floor lamp (torchaire) in the bedroom. I never use the thing, and really lights things up when it reflects off the white cealing.

I hold it up against the card in my bathroom, with the light behind me. I usually test at night when I get home from work. The bathroom has the best night light in the house. Still squint sometimes to read it, hoping it's right.

I never seem to get an accurate reading by holding the tube against the card. I hold it maybe 1/2 inch away from the card and get a much better reading that way. The shadow created by the tube and card always throw me off.

I hold the tube to the card in the white area, get what I believe is the reading then I give it to my wife to get her opinion. We are usually the same but sometimes "SHE" is wrong :)

Macrosill said:
I hold the tube to the card in the white area, get what I believe is the reading then I give it to my wife to get her opinion. We are usually the same but sometimes "SHE" is wrong :)

What a coincidence macrosill! I do the exact same thing. I personally believe that women can see more color variations than men. While we see 7 colors of the spectrum, women can see all the shades in between.

lol ya when i guy want to name a colour that isnt one of the basic 7 he adds and "ish" or an "eeny" to the end lol. instead of aqua we say its a greeny bluish lol.

Back
Top Bottom